Save Editing?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Silence

Save Editing?

Post by Silence »

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I thought it was more adequate than stating another one.

Question related to save editing: is there a place where the save file and the values for its parameteres are described?

I'm particularly interested in the character (and class, etc) related attributes. For instance: I noticed an empty "SpecialAbilities": "" field, and it got me curious. Which vaules would go in there?
Many knights Silence unsat / from the saddle, with her lance / Had they known truth as it was / that the one who made'm fall / possessed naught of being male / but the skill and tools of trade! / Livid witnesses they'd be / of Nurture's triumph over Birth

Interkarma

Re: Save Editing?

Post by Interkarma »

Please don't necro older support topics from other people, it's OK just to ask your question in a new topic. :)

There's no curated reference for save editing. The best place to lookup save params are on git by searching through the code or the API docs.

GitHub - https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfall-unity
API Docs - https://thelacus.github.io/daggerfall-u ... index.html

SpecialAbilities value is a flag of one or more settings of the SpecialAbilityFlags enum. These map to the special advantage and disadvantage values below.

Code: Select all

public enum SpecialAbilityFlags
{
    None = 0,
    AcuteHearing = 1,
    Athleticism = 2,
    AdrenalineRush = 4,
    NoRegenSpellPoints = 8,
    SunDamage = 16,
    HolyDamage = 32,
}
I don't believe DFU serializes anything into this field in player saves though. It's mainly used when importing classic saves or reading monster data. DFU instead parses these flags into standalone fields and serializes like below.

Code: Select all

"NoRegenSpellPoints": true,
"AcuteHearing": true,
"Athleticism": true,
"AdrenalineRush": false,
"Regeneration": "",
"RapidHealing": "",
"DamageFromSunlight": false,
"DamageFromHolyPlaces": false
If something looks a bit hard to work out or find any info on, it's probably best to leave that field alone as editing could have unintended effects like breaking save. Always keep a backup save before editing just in case!