Daggerfall Unity on GOG

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jay_H

Re: Daggerfall Unity on GOG

Post by Jay_H »

They integrated the .213 patch and put the .VID files in the right place. Someone at Bethesda seems to helping on that front. :)
I did, but I sort of assumed that was Steam at work rather than Bethesda. If that were ambiguous, this isn't at all :)

Baler

Post by Baler »

Honestly why did gog release a Modded version, Why didn't they release vanilla Daggerfall Unity after contacting Interkarma. I would love to see DFU on all platforms but only the base game, let people discover mods on their own.

Stealing mods is not okay and has been the source of major backlash+drama on Nexus Mods, Bethesda Workshop and other mod hosting sites. There is nearly no faster way to have members of the community leave than when they see their work stolen.

I'm not trying to dredge up drama, I know I'm late to this party.

edit- GoG does have a system for updating games and it would only work best on a non-modded vanilla Daggerfall Unity. The enthusiasts in this community already know. Who is going to pick up the slack when people go to update mods or add other mods and they don't work.

Furthermore DFU is still in beta, in my opinion gog pushing this "early access" version as some sort of special edition "gog cut" is false advertising. And is disingenuous to Interkarama and everyone who has contributed towards DFU.

One step forward, One step backward. It's good that there are more eyes on the project, it's bad that their introduction is the "gog cut".

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I am generally positive to this, but a bit exhasperated by how they went about it.

1: Getting permission from all the modders should have been the first step.

2: It might have been a good idea to ask the actual DFU community what a good mod list for this would be, any pitfalls in settings, load order etc.

3: DFU is still in beta. Each update breaks mods. Is someone at GoG going to sit there and try to keep up with this? Or will this release just stay like this with no updates as DFU continues? I hope at least they do something once DFU goes to 1.0.

Generally it just seems weirdly rushed for something that is really no rush at all as DFU is still not even "out" yet.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Just got a message from them with an apology and a request for my permission to use Darker Dungeons. So I answered back:

«Hi, I have no real problems with this so you have my permission to use Darker Dungeons.

In time, the DFU build you have up on GoG will be severely out of date, since DFU is still in beta, so I would reccommend not keeping this up long term. Both to not become a problem for Interkarma and the modders and to not offer an increasingly broken experience for your users.

However, if you consider making a new version at some point, I would suggest checking in with the DFU modding community to get a better curated mod list as there is a lot of pitfalls that are not apparent without being very familiar with the game and modding scene.

That said, I am happy to see so many new people be made aware of the project. This could have been handled a bit more smoothly, but maybe it will next time :)

-Ralzar»

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well.... well....

as expected, they effed it up a bit. I gave em permission, and whats more, offered some advice on mod list. They never asked, than I saw the modlist, and I was sure there will be issues with DREAM, if they dont set it up properly, via presets - which I gave alongside DREAM for a reason.

Also seeing they did not get permissions from all the modders is adding a bit more salt to that.

Ad the "all ppl involved in DREAM should give permission" - kind of no.

I think I will just ingnore all this... maybe it will give more attention to DFU. But they rushed it and its really evident. Oh well.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

There is only one thing that I can not look past and that is their claim that they had permission from all the modders involved. They seem to have removed that claim now but why make it in the first place when you know it's a blatant lie.

Looking forward though, I hope they re-evaluate their deployment and come up with something that is useful to GOG players on other platforms too.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I like the idea, particularly since it appears to be a limited time thing. So just a snap-shot of current DFU with mods.

I honestly hope they do this again in the future just... with some more community involvement first.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

FWIW GoG contacted me and had my permission for using my mods. So no stealing has happen from me at least. The only thing I asked was to see the mod list to check there were none of the mods I would not want mine associated with, beyond that I am happy my stuff is used and played.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Apparently a few people have gotten contacted today, but just as a note I still have not gotten any contact through Nexus or my primary email, etc.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:47 pm FWIW GoG contacted me and had my permission for using my mods. So no stealing has happen from me at least. The only thing I asked was to see the mod list to check there were none of the mods I would not want mine associated with, beyond that I am happy my stuff is used and played.
I wanted that too, not because I dont want to be associated with a mod, but because I wanted to make sure, no other mods will interfere with DREAM in a bad way, thus making my mod look bad or bugged. They did not do that and included mods which do EXACTLY that. So blah. I offered help there, they just straight up ignored it 2 times and released something Im not that content with. Me personally, Im glad for the spotlight DFU is getting, but this left more bad taste in my mouth than I expected, for all the reasons mentioned by me and others - using their work without permission and telling ppl they have all permissions is a no no in my book.
Last edited by King of Worms on Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.