Daggerfall Unity on GOG

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Magicono43

Re: Daggerfall Unity on GOG

Post by Magicono43 »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:14 am Damage control :mrgreen: or an attempt at.

So, a 5DM limit and there's 40 mods. Some authors did multiple mods but even assuming that each mod has a unique author, that's 8 days of sending out the initial DMs. Makes me wonder how much time they spent preparing this, apparently less than two weeks.

I got a chuckle out of the 'you might have noticed', as if he hasn't read the review you left on GoG :lol:

GoG's actions will speak louder for me than their words at this point.
I just got this reply back this morning.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (66.82 KiB) Viewed 975 times
Some might call me petty, while I'm usually someone who accepts a sincere apology, as you said the entire thing felt more like damage control, especially considering I only got any contact after having to pester the Youtuber responsible for the mod-pack choices and stuff, so I call bull on that DM limit thing.

The most reasonable thing would have been to just not include any mods that did not already give explicit permission to be included in this pack, then when/if they did eventually say "yes" or "no" simply update the pack. No harm in that, but they decided it was not necessary because apparently authors don't care about their work being shipped onto something they had no say in and no control over after the fact, and onto a for-profit website during their summer sale time no less.

And the amount of shit I was reading from various users on Reddit and the GoG Forum thread, about how me and other authors that did not like how this was done and wanted their mods removed because of this. How we were the piece of shit crybaby assholes, defending a cooperate entity like it was their own grandmother.

Sorry for getting annoyed about that, but I don't accept apologies from people/cooperate entities that don't take pride in their craft enough to release something that is up to my own personal standards, and then worse slapping my name across it like I had some part or say in the matter.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Magicono43 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:16 am And the amount of shit I was reading from various users on Reddit and the GoG Forum thread, about how me and other authors that did not like how this was done and wanted their mods removed because of this. How we were the piece of shit crybaby assholes, defending a cooperate entity like it was their own grandmother.
About that, there are entiteled assholes all over the net. I would advice to not let any decision be in any way influenced by those kinds of comments because honestly, they represent no one but their sorry selves.
I am just trying to say: I totally understand being annoyed at GoG for this, but be annoyed at them for what they did, not what some randoms on the net said in reaction to the situation. Neither we nor GoG should care what they have to say.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:30 am
Magicono43 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:16 am And the amount of shit I was reading from various users on Reddit and the GoG Forum thread, about how me and other authors that did not like how this was done and wanted their mods removed because of this. How we were the piece of shit crybaby assholes, defending a cooperate entity like it was their own grandmother.
About that, there are entiteled assholes all over the net. I would advice to not let any decision be in any way influenced by those kinds of comments because honestly, they represent no one but their sorry selves.
I am just trying to say: I totally understand being annoyed at GoG for this, but be annoyed at them for what they did, not what some randoms on the net said in reaction to the situation. Neither we nor GoG should care what they have to say.
Yeah, you are absolutely right, but it certainly put me in a much less bright demeanor about the whole thing after being constantly accosted by that kind of stuff. Either way from those comments or not, I still would choose to have my mods removed after the way GOG handled this situation.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Magicono43 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:16 am The most reasonable thing would have been to just not include any mods that did not already give explicit permission to be included in this pack, then when/if they did eventually say "yes" or "no" simply update the pack. No harm in that, but they decided it was not necessary because apparently authors don't care about their work being shipped onto something they had no say in and no control over after the fact, and onto a for-profit website during their summer sale time no less.

And the amount of shit I was reading from various users on Reddit and the GoG Forum thread, about how me and other authors that did not like how this was done and wanted their mods removed because of this. How we were the piece of shit crybaby assholes, defending a cooperate entity like it was their own grandmother.

Sorry for getting annoyed about that, but I don't accept apologies from people/cooperate entities that don't take pride in their craft enough to release something that is up to my own personal standards, and then worse slapping my name across it like I had some part or say in the matter.
I don't know why he keeps making up excuses of why things may or may not happen, take some ownership of the situation you created mr. Manager.

Why not pre-emptively remove all the mods you didn't get permission for because that's the thing, you still don't have permission to use certain mods so why keep them up?
Why reiterate it was all done in good faith, the road to hell is paved with good intentions too, you made a mistake, admit it, fix it and move on.

I don't buy not being able to move the release date either. This is not a paid product so there is no publishers breathing down your neck. And 'there might be some kind of statement', that's pretty much the least you can do isn't it? Explain to everyone what happened.

This will be the last I say about it but so far their response is laughable. It's all corporate drivel to me. I don't question the good intentions but I also will not excuse the shit execution and the way they are handling this now.

About users spitting their venom, fuck them :P They've never produced a single thing in their life and they probably never will because it doesn't come with a single-button install and would require effort. I mod for myself and no-one else :D I'm not here to cater to entitled interwebz babies. The only reason I release my mods is because someone might enjoy them and others can maybe learn from them.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Yeah, that's basically my take on the entire thing Burt. I just wanted to get my experience out there and hopefully be done with it so I can get back to working on future mods. I don't like to be a Karen about stuff usually, but when I feel I have been disrespected and walked on I have the tendency not to just take it with a smile. :P

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

In all fairness, I am malding about this whole situation and how it was mishandled, I was only really able to watch from the sidelines as more information on what happened started to surface.
Now it really feels any action is in a not-so-timely fashion while misinformed and opinionated players are in at the game throwing vitriol at the hand that feeds them if modders dare to exercise their own rights.
Joy.
Last edited by Ninelan on Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

Kilg0re_Tr0ut

Post by Kilg0re_Tr0ut »

GOG posted an update today, removing "Rest Warning If Unwell" and "Unofficial Block Location and Model fixes".

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Kilg0re_Tr0ut wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:49 pm GOG posted an update today, removing "Rest Warning If Unwell" and "Unofficial Block Location and Model fixes".
Nice, at least they respected our request after the fact. So now I can officially be done with any personal investment to this release :P

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm sorry things turned out this way and not all mod creators bundled were contacted ahead of time. I was under the impression everyone had consented and was completely stoked to see you all included. This feeling was quickly replaced by disappointment after discovering several modders weren't even contacted. I'm just happy they respected your wishes and unbundled mods when requested.

I personally have some complex emotions about this one. I think it's an incredible thing to see a fan recreation hosted by a large platform with the blessing of the rights holder. Usually the response is a bored lawyer sending a form C&D letter to shut down projects like this one before brunch. I've had that possibility hanging over my head for years considering I'm the idiot who started all this. Instead we were allowed to thrive and somehow threaded the needle to arrive at this point. I mean, Daggerfall Unity just landed on GOG. Holy shit.

I would have loved to be more closely involved though. Other than saying I had no issues with the "experiment", I wasn't part of building GOG Cut or promoting it. I feel like that's a missed opportunity on GOG's part. Hopefully the next iteration will be better, whether that's DFU or another fan recreation that comes after us.

Having worked around large businesses most of my adult life, I understand how things like this can end up rushed. At one of my workplaces, we called them "love jobs". They didn't bring in any revenue but were still important in some way. The people who drive them always had limited time and company resources to get it across the line. This one feels a bit like a love job to me. Someone was passionate about DFU and tried their best to make it happen while also expected to do their normal job at the same time (i.e. the job that normally makes the company money). Then there's usually constraints from legal or whoever else to do things in a certain way that kind of contort things into weird outcomes.

Anyway, what an interesting week. I'm so proud of us all and what we've created together. People are paying attention. If anyone feels like an imposter playing at game development (god knows this is how I feel a lot of the time) then we can put that to rest now. We've created something incredible here and most people genuinely love it. I'm going to take that as a win and keep on working. I think DFU is something really special and has a big future.

Kilg0re_Tr0ut

Post by Kilg0re_Tr0ut »

Btw, I have been streaming the GOG cut on my own twitch channel as of Wednesday, and will resume it on Tuesday. I should also mention that I will be doing a stream of it on GOG's channel tomorrow (Saturday). This topic may very well come up during the stream, and I just wanted to say that my only goal is to give credit where credit is due and promote Daggerfall Unity AND all of the incredible work done by all of the modders. I have no other stake in this. Yes, the whole thing could have been handled better by GOG to be sure, but my intention in streaming it is, and always has been, to show off the project, period.