(What are your) First memories of Daggerfall

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
13thsyndicate

Re: (What are your) First memories of Daggerfall

Post by 13thsyndicate »

My parents are both huge gamers; I was only 3 years old when Daggerfall was first released, so I literally grew up around people playing it. Some of my early memories from my childhood are being small and sitting on my mom's knee while she played and I got to make decisions about what the character was going to be. When I was old enough to start playing computer games on my own, Daggerfall was one of the first I got to try out myself, though with my mom there to supervise of course. An avid reader, I read both the Daggerfall Chronicles and the Unofficial Guide to Daggerfall cover to cover multiple times. I've played it off and on over the years for about 90% of my lifetime now and still going strong, but I've never beat the main quest lol.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Daggerfall was my 1st entry in the TES series. I came across the Demo on some CDrom disk added to the paper magazine.
I played it all over and over, it was clunky, it was crashy, but I loved it. Than I came across the game, Im not sure how. Than I started to play it with my friend, at my home. I was like 13yo. I had a paper notebook where I wrote all the notes and quests. We played it together, one was walking, the other one was swinging the sword :D Must have been during the summer holidays, because I remember he basically stayed at my home for 2 or 3 months straight and all we did was play the damned game. I remember my granny hated that, and the fact he is de facto another part of a family now :D We did not give a damn and just played and played. After few months, we finished the game, which was a miracle, given we had only very basic level of english. I remember at the end, we bought the house, placed the character inside it and ended the game.
It was the best gaming experience I ever had in my life. Could write a book about it...

boredofpost90slife

Post by boredofpost90slife »

The year was 1997 I borrowed Terminator:Future Shock from a friend. The Daggerfall Betony Demo was included on the CD ROM. I was quickly hooked after experiecing the sounds, the graphics and gruesome 2d sprite corpses of the demo dungeon. Unfortunately I would not actually access the full Daggerfall game until 2003. Back then in 1997 I didn’t have any knowledge nor access of the internet. So aquiring games locally limited what you could actually get your hands on.
A physical copy Daggerfall was rare and pretty much unavailable at places that sold PC Games back then, even living in the same state as Bethesda Softworks. Finally when places like Ebay hit the internet I was able to purchase a sealed copy of Daggerfall with the Prima Guide included for $40 in 2003. I’ve been a huge fan of Daggerfall and only Daggerfall out of all the Elders Scrolls titles ever since..

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I also remember in later stages of game, I encountered a bug which occurred 100% of the time and was just straight up crashing a game in a dungeon u needed to clear for a game progress. After 10s of crashes, my child logic told me... you must change as many things as possible to de-trigger the bug. So I dropped all things to the ground, casted some spells, went backwards while jumping etc, and it actually solved the bug and I was able to continue the game :ugeek:

Also, making a save BEFORE entering a dungeon was mega important. Because you realistically never knew, if you will be able to leave that dungeon. There were setups you could hardly leave without levitation if you fell somewhere or messed something up. On the other hand, game was incredibly flexible, with all the climbing, out of bounds bugs etc, so there was almost always some way...