I'm that Zakh guy that helped with the GOG Cut - Questions/Concerns/Criticisms?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Re: I'm that Zakh guy that helped with the GOG Cut - Questions/Concerns/Criticisms?

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks Burt, good to know. :)

Ralzar

Re: I'm that Zakh guy that helped with the GOG Cut - Questions/Concerns/Criticisms?

Post by Ralzar »

Also, doesn't the GOG Cut have two download methods? Via Galaxy or as loose files? With the loose files solution I assume running the uninstall from the folder is the only option outside of just deleting the folder.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's either Galaxy or a DRM free installer, not loose files. It should still be available for uninstall from Uninstall or change a program in Windows.

I personally wouldn't directly launch an app called "unins000.exe" inside Program Files and expect a good user experience. I'll go through the usual front-ends for this every time I can. :)

Still, interesting to hear from Burt this outcome differs in GOG Cut vs. other GOG games. I'll check this out later when I can using a couple of different games in my library.

Edit:
I just ran the GOG Cut "unins000.exe" direct from GOG Cut install folder and I'm still prompted with below about keeping saves or not. Clicking No is the danger button that deletes saves. Clicking Yes will keep saves.

uninstall-prompt.JPG
uninstall-prompt.JPG (16.04 KiB) Viewed 1363 times

So I don't know... No matter how I try uninstalling this, I have an option to keep saves or not. I'd be interested to know what others experience if they go through the process as well.

Personally, I'd prefer the GOG uninstaller didn't delete saves for any reason, prompt or not. That might not be an option based on design of the installer framework though. I'll try to learn more about this later.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

LOL seems like I need to install the game for a 3rd time and make a screenshots of uninstal, otherwise ppl will assume Im nuts

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I don't think you're nuts mate. :) I'm just trying to work it out because sooner or later someone is going to ask me the question next time it happens. I'm trying to line up my support process with you guys so I can answer that question later.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yup ;) still its strange it shows you different prompts than me.
Mine clearly said "Do you want to remove all game components - yes/no" and that was the only question it ever asked, I made sure of it, because this was the 2nd time I uninstalled the game, and it was important to me to see how I lost my save files in a 1st place.

Its possible my GOG galaxy was somehow messed up. Im reinstalling that program, than reinstall DFU from it, and see what happens when I uninstall DFU GOG Cut using the EXE file once again.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I get the first prompt "Do you want to remove all game components - yes/no" then when I click Yes it goes to the second prompt one asking about saves.

Dunno man. I just hope it's a glitch or something, cause I don't want angry people showing up about their saves going missing. :)

At least they get synced with cloud. That's something.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

I don't use Galaxy so I just downloaded the installer manually. When using the uninstall exe in the game folder, I get two prompts.

The first to confirm I want uninstall the game, the second is the question about keeping the save games. It's probably possible to accidentally click too fast and have that dialog close on you before it fully shows.

This is unrelated and more a general GOG installer thing I suppose but I don't like that it asks if you want to keep the saves, in my opinion it's better to explicitly ask if you want to remove them instead since that is how dialogs work most of the time, you ask if the user wants something to happen, not if they want something to NOT happen. The point is, I can see people clicking the wrong answer because of this.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

GamerZakh

Post by GamerZakh »

I have to say that is weird. I've not heard of any save issues like this before so far with the GOG Cut and I also always get a prompt on whether I want to keep saves or not on uninstall. Cloud saves work as well by default in GOG Galaxy as I tried clean installs before it went live to make sure it reinstalled my saves too. Never tried uninstalling directly from the folder, but also no idea why the prompt for deleting saves wouldn't show up.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I dont know, it must have been something about my install. I reinstalled both Galaxy and GOG Cut, using default folders. Before I did not use default folders and GOG Cut was somehow installed inside the Galaxy.

Anyway, I always use Right click on the GOG Cut shortcut > open file location
Thats how I previously got to the executable location and clicked Uninstall.exe

But when I do it now, it redirects me to the galaxy folder and there is no Uninstall.exe to remove the game. Theres just unins000.exe to remove whole Galaxy prog.

So I guess my previous installs were somehow non standard and that lead to non standard behavior of the Uninstal.exe, thats the only explanation I have. I dont believe I missed the 2nd prompt two times, especially when at the 2nd attempt I wanted to be double sure of everything.

So good thing is, its not a behavior everyone will witness, its was something on my side. Glad its gone and my saves are back..

Sorry for confusion, but this is what happened and I reported it as it was. Now after reinstall of everything, I cant reproduce the issue anymore.