Daggerfall Unity refuses to launch

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
cameron1239

Daggerfall Unity refuses to launch

Post by cameron1239 »

Edit: I originally posted this as a comment in another thread where the OP's game was crashing on startup during installation. Original thread here: viewtopic.php?t=5561
Interkarma wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:13 pm Did you try removing the registry key I show above? This usually fixes problem without needing to change multimonitor setup.
Hello,

I'm having the same issue with DU v0.13.5beta and would greatly appreciate any troubleshooting/assistance you might provide. I've tried deleting the DU ini file as well as deleting the HKEY registry, according to your previous comment. Daggerfall and DU are in completely separate folders on the same drive.

PC Specs:

Code: Select all

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA Z170X-Gaming 3 
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @ 4.00GHz 
RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 (8x2)
GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super 
Boot Drive (C:\): Intel 660p 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD 
Games Drive (E:\): SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD (all games, including Daggerfall & DU, are here) 
Primary Monitor: ACER XFA240 
Secondary Monitor: ASUS V238H-B 
Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity 
Keyboard: Razer Black Widow V3 Tenkeyless 
Headset: Alienware AW988 
I'm trying to run Daggerfall Unity using my Steam version of the game, which is up-to-date with the patch. I can get as far as selecting my filepath [E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\The Elder Scrolls Daggerfall\DF\DAGGER], and then I immediately see the Unity runtime crashing image posted above (Edit: This was in the previous thread before it was split). Any subsequent attempts to launch Unity are met with the same crash.

I've just done a fresh reinstall of Windows and reformatted my drives. Windows is up-to-date. I've installed drivers for my GPU (NVIDIA), my Razer mouse & keyboard, and both of my monitors. I've also downloaded Steam (and lots of games), Minecraft, League of Legends, and Opera GX browser.

Thank you for your time!

Edit: I've checked the Persistent Data Path for any Crash Logs, but there is nothing there.
Last edited by cameron1239 on Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jay_H

Re: Daggerfall Unity refuses to launch

Post by Jay_H »

Hello, I split off your post into a new topic. It's better to have each issue remain separate ;)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there, welcome to the forums. :)

This is a rare issue in the Unity runtime itself. I understand it happens when there are two monitors with certain arrangements (e.g. different resolutions, scaling, or 1st monitor not set as primary display).

The problem is the same one answered in this topic for a different Unity game on Steam forums. I'll basically copy their temp fixes here.
  • Set the game to play on your main monitor by changing your primary display in windows to your 1st monitor.
  • Change your UI scaling of your 2nd monitor to the same as your main monitor.
  • Disconnect your other monitors.
  • Delete the registry key at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity". Right-click and delete the whole "Daggerfall Unity" key at this folder. Don't delete anything else.
I don't have a permanent fix at this time. The crash is actually happening in the Unity runtime before DFU even starts. Hopefully Unity fix this someday, and we'll inherit the fix when moving up to that engine version.

Good luck!

cameron1239

Post by cameron1239 »

Interkarma wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:00 pm Hey there, welcome to the forums. :)

This is a rare issue in the Unity runtime itself. I understand it happens when there are two monitors with certain arrangements (e.g. different resolutions, scaling, or 1st monitor not set as primary display).

The problem is the same one answered in this topic for a different Unity game on Steam forums. I'll basically copy their temp fixes here.
  • Set the game to play on your main monitor by changing your primary display in windows to your 1st monitor.
  • Change your UI scaling of your 2nd monitor to the same as your main monitor.
  • Disconnect your other monitors.
  • Delete the registry key at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity". Right-click and delete the whole "Daggerfall Unity" key at this folder. Don't delete anything else.
I don't have a permanent fix at this time. The crash is actually happening in the Unity runtime before DFU even starts. Hopefully Unity fix this someday, and we'll inherit the fix when moving up to that engine version.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for your reply and the warm welcome!

Taking into consideration what you said about the dual-monitor setup gave me an epiphany. I realized:

1) I used the ASUS monitor when I first booted the new Windows installation
2) I then plugged in the Acer monitor and switched it to my primary monitor.
3) My PC then started giving me problems again.
4) I unplugged the ASUS monitor and just used the Acer to troubleshoot.
5) I had not yet reconnected the ASUS monitor.

Hilariously enough, reconnecting the ASUS monitor actually seems to have solved the issue so far. :lol:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for getting back to us. Happy to hear you found a workaround. :)

I think the reason the registry approach fixes so often is it forces Unity to re-enumerate the display setup. I suppose that won't help 100% of the time depending on whatever setup is triggering crash.

Exactly why Unity doesn't like the display setup and crashes in the first place is a mystery, and probably varies from person to person. Unfortunately it's one of those things only Unity can fix.

Next time this comes up, I'll keep posting the multiple solutions above as it casts a wider net for solutions. I appreciate you adding your fix to the group.