Character creation problem - GOG version

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Gorlash

Character creation problem - GOG version

Post by Gorlash »

So I run the game, begin character creation, select Custom Character, spend 10 minutes setting all the parameters where I want them, type in my name... but then the only option to exit the page is the red EXIT button... that takes me back to the previous page, which only offers the two character-creation buttons... there seems to be no way to say "I'm done with this, can we play the game please??"...

If I hit Escape, on that two-button page, it takes me back to the previous page which *also* gives me no way to proceed with the game... or I can hit Escape *again*, which takes me to the *previous* page to select my home country, which *also* gives me no way to proceed with the game...

So what am I missing here??

Interkarma

Re: Character creation problem - GOG version

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there, welcome to the forums. :)

I think you might be confusing two different steps because they do look very similar (only the text changes). I stepped through this process in GOG Cut and took a couple screenshots to help explain.

The first prompt with two big buttons is about selecting your character's Class. Here you pick the first option then Custom to create a custom character.

class-step.jpg
class-step.jpg (407.58 KiB) Viewed 684 times

Setup your custom class how you want then press Exit. That's the correct way to proceed, Daggerfall is just old-school like that.

The next prompt shown is about selecting your character's Background. It looks the same, but note the text is different.

backpground-step.jpg
backpground-step.jpg (407.24 KiB) Viewed 684 times

You can fast-start by selecting the first option, but it's more fun to answer the questions and customise the background. Pick up the Ebony Dagger if you get a chance. This depends on your class makeup, so you might not get the choice.

You still have quite a way to go from here before you're done creating character. You're yet to set name, face, attributes, skills, etc. This all comes after background step.

Don't forget to save immediately after game starts! If you die without saving at the beginning, all that hard work creating character is lost.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Gorlash

Re: Character creation problem - GOG version

Post by Gorlash »

Ha!! Thank ye, @Interkarma !! That was exactly what was wrong...
Hokay, on with the game!