Request - Turn off all quest time limits

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
notabreton

Request - Turn off all quest time limits

Post by notabreton »

One thing I always found annoying in the game is time limits. Almost every quest has "Return in # days," but sometimes it takes longer. I'm more worried about time than I am enjoying the experience of the quest. I want to get lost in those dungeons and not worry about time. Time limits take the fun out of it, at least to me.

Some implementation details:
I assume every NPC will still have the text: "Return in N amount of days." But the time limit could still be disabled.

Ideal:
Change the NPC's text to "Return as soon as you can," "Come back soon," "You know where to find me," etc.

Possible issues:
- I don't know if disabling time limits will cause bugs with other quests, including the main quest.
- Logs may get too big if taking on too many quests with no time limits. Being able to cancel quests is important to keep that log down, especially if the player chooses not to complete a certain quest.
- NPCs may forget they gave a quest after the time limit.
- Quest NPCs/items/creatures may disappear after the time limit.
- Compatibility with other quest-giving mods.

Similar mods:
- No Rush Main Quest
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/53

pango

Re: Request - Turn off all quest time limits

Post by pango »

There has been a discussion on Reddit about this: https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... me_limits/

One problem with that is quests you cannot complete for whatever reason; Not only they'll pile up, but they will also blacklist questors since you usually cannot interact with a questor while (s)he's waiting for you to complete the quest.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

notabreton

Post by notabreton »

Maybe a quest giver has a dialogue box that comes up with two options: "Talk of Quest" and "Talk." If a quest is active with the quest giver, then show quest dialogue. If it's talk, general dialogue appears as if there was no quest in the first place. If there is no active quest and "Talk of Quest" is clicked, then show "I don't recall giving any job." However, if "Talk" is clicked, a new quest should replace the old active one, or just not give a quest at all if an active one exists.

I think its just comes down to conditional logic on NPC/quest-giver interaction.

Syl

Post by Syl »

Totally backin up that request. That's my main issue (besides exhaustion deaths from the essential 'climates and calories' mod...), with havin to travel back and forth several days away from our transient location. All the more if refusin the quest affect our reputation negatively eh.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

All the more if refusin the quest affect our reputation negatively eh.
It doesn't :)

Syl

Post by Syl »

Good to know. They made me feel guilty with their sarcastic reproachs... :)