Rats! of Daggerfall

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
DunnyOfPenwick

Rats! of Daggerfall

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I've seen suggestions of adding vermin to buildings for added ambiance.
I can't find references here (except maybe Expanded textures project), but I occasionally lurk on discord and reddit.

I wrote a static class for creating suitable rats for use in Inns and possibly other locations.
The code is located on my Github. (Correction, the code has since been moved into the Tempered-Interiors mod, url updated to reflect that).

I have no intention of using it in any of my mods (correction: it is now used in Tempered-Interiors); I think it would be more appropriate to use it in an existing mod that serves the purpose more directly.

Rats can be added to an environment by calling the Rats.AddRat() static method.
The rats themselves are scaled-down pacified versions of the giant rats found in dungeons.
There are 3 rat sizes available ranging from mouse-sized to cat-sized.
The rats will wander around on their own, but you can provide a list of pointsOfInterest that they might stop by.
The same list can be given to all the rats.
A typical point-of-interest might be a bit of food or puddle on the ground.

I've done some testing and the code seems to work pretty well.

Feel free to grab the code off Github and use/modify it for your own mod.
Last edited by DunnyOfPenwick on Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Kamer

Re: Rats! of Daggerfall

Post by Kamer »

Do they runaway when the player approaches?

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

That might be a feature to add.
Right now they behave like pets, unafraid of human giants, the leavers of foods...

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

Just updated the code on Github to further streamline the corpse handling mechanism.

Kab the Bird Ranger

Post by Kab the Bird Ranger »

Penwick has since removed the Rats script from his repo, but the history can be found here: https://github.com/DunnyOfPenwick/dfuni ... ts/Rats.cs

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I added the same Rat logic to the TemperedInteriors mod, so I didn't see the need to keep another copy of it...

<edit> I should have left a note here indicating where the code was moved to. Thanks for pointing that out...

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

I really do appreciate looking at some of your code examples for more "novel" ideas. Atleast working on the chest mod I've used many code examples from your Penwick Papers mod.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I'm glad you're getting some use out of it.

I've actually added a lockpicking minigame to The-Penwick-Papers. I've got a good bit of back-logged code waiting for an appropriate time to release.

We might have to work together to get the lockpicking bit to work with your chest mod.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:01 pm I'm glad you're getting some use out of it.

I've actually added a lockpicking minigame to The-Penwick-Papers. I've got a good bit of back-logged code waiting for an appropriate time to release.

We might have to work together to get the lockpicking bit to work with your chest mod.
Yeah that sounds interesting, currently it's just roll based with multiple variables taken into consideration. But I'm sure when you get that part working on your side I'll try and make some compatibility thing as an option, seems like a cool option for those who like the more "player skill" based mini-game.

Though when I get v1.0 for the chest mod released (hopefully within 2 weeks or something), I'll take a bit of break from working on it, I have been working on the damn thing for nearly 6-months at this point, lol.

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

Finally got myself back onto the forums.

Daggerfall expanded textures has a small rat sprite, by the next update I plan to add even more. Running ones included, hopefully, they'd be great with this!
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness