Projectile destruction spells not working? [a few mods, but none seem related]

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
rendergoat

Projectile destruction spells not working? [a few mods, but none seem related]

Post by rendergoat »

Been playing on 13.5 and just tested my save file on 14.3, I've noticed my projectile destruction spells don't seem to be working, and more interesting, in my latest save, it seems I have to cast a self-targeting spell before I can even get a destruction spell (projectile or otherwise) to cast, otherwise nothing happens when I try to cast the spell. I've confirmed this happens even an a fresh character with no mods installed. I am aware of the odd system where you have to load the spell and use the separate key to cast/recast.

Possibly some info of use is that I've bound my spell selection to middle mouse and casting to right mouse click.

I also have a suspicion that none of my destruction spells are connecting, even the by-touch ones. Which also carries over to the fresh, modless character I created, unfortunately fresh characters don't start with any projectile spells so I couldn't test that easily.

Also worth noting is that enemy spells definitely do work, and I can see their projectiles.

I have a few mods installed, mostly just small tweaks to gameplay, and the problem persists even if I turn them off.

basic magica regen
carry weight customizer
dungeon loot
fixed dungeon exteriors
no dice stats
sneak and crouch combined
world tooltips

Interkarma

Re: Projectile destruction spells not working? [a few mods, but none seem related]

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :)

I've run through some spell tests in 0.14.3 and did not encounter any issues with spell projectiles or touch.

When a spell is loaded and you see "press button to fire spell", you then need to press the Activate Centre Object button. This is the same keybind used to open doors, activate levers, pick up objects, etc. There's no other "cast spell" binding.

If you've changed Activate Centre Object from the default (left mouse) then you need to press whatever key you've setup for this binding to release spell. Check your bindings and let us know how you go. Good luck! :)

rendergoat

Re: Projectile destruction spells not working? [a few mods, but none seem related]

Post by rendergoat »

Agh, yeah, that was it! I suppose it was confusing that after casting an "on self" spell, loading up a destruction spell will kind of cast with my right-mouse-click binding for re-cast, but it only does the animation and uses up spell points, nothing else happens.

Edit: and thank you for the quick reply!!