Daggerfall Enemy Expansion [Released]

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Kab the Bird Ranger

Daggerfall Enemy Expansion [Released]

Post by Kab the Bird Ranger »

DNd_Lgo2.png
DNd_Lgo2.png (592.94 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
Daggerfall Enemy Expansion is now available on Nexus!

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/372

UESP page: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall_Mod ... _Expansion

Monsters:
  • Bat (level 1)
  • Goblin (level 2)
  • Mudcrab (level 2)
  • Wild Dog (level 3)
  • Skeletal Soldier (level 3)
  • Lizard Man (level 4)
  • Lizard Warrior (level 8)
  • Wolf (level 5)
  • Snow Wolf (level 10)
  • Hell Hound (level 15)
  • Ghoul (level 5)
  • Dire Ghoul (level 13)
  • Dremora Churl (level 6)
  • Grotesque (level 6, gargoyle variant)
  • Boar (level 6)
  • Faded Ghost (level 7)
  • Blood Spider (level 7)
  • Mountain Lion (level 8)
  • Stone Golem (level 8)
  • Ice Golem (level 9)
  • Iron Golem (level 10)
  • Land Dreugh (level 9)
  • Will-o'-wisp (level 9)
  • Troll (level 11)
  • Homunculus (level 12, imp variant)
  • Ogre (level 13)
  • Minotaur (level 15)
  • Medusa (level 16)
  • Gloom Wraith (level 19)
  • Fire Daemon (level 22)
  • Maybe a secret monster or two...

MrFlibble

Re: Daggerfall Enemy Expansion [Released]

Post by MrFlibble »

Those are some amazing sprites for sure!

I take it that many of these were made from scratch, am I right? On the screenshots, I only noticed the unused gargoyle sprites from the Daggerfall beta demo, and a scaled-down Dremora from Battlespire.

I see all the stuff is available from GitHub, but what is the license for the monsters that are completely original work?

UPD: So I've looked through all the sprites, and I must say that all the new recreations of Arena monsters and some Daggerfall characters are of awesome quality.

It looks like your README.md is a bit behind the current state of things. From what I can tell the following monsters are original work:

Lizard Man & Lizard Man Armoured -- as stated in README.md
Minotaur -- doesn't look like it's based on the Oblivion model
Wolf, Hell Hound and Snow Wolf -- seem like original to me (?)
Medusa -- a very faithful hi-res recreation of the original
Fire Demon -- a very faithful hi-res recreation of the original
Iron Golem -- a very faithful hi-res recreation of the original
Stone Golem -- a very faithful hi-res recreation of the original
Barbarian, Necromancer and Dark Brotherhood Males & Females, Witch -- very faithful recreations based on original NPC flats

Oblivion creatures, Troll and Goblin seem to be based on models from that game (?).

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Amazing, this is an essential mod! The enemy variety in Daggerfall, while not terrible, left a bit to be desired compared to Arena. This mod boosts the enemy count greatly and the sprites look amazing!

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Werewolf wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:37 am Amazing, this is an essential mod! The enemy variety in Daggerfall, while not terrible, left a bit to be desired compared to Arena. This mod boosts the enemy count greatly and the sprites look amazing!
Technically if we are going by numbers alone, Daggerfall had more different enemies than Arena, at least going by the UESP entries. The issue is how level scaling worked in Daggerfall the variety may have felt like less than Arena though, also the enemies are somewhat less "outlandish" looking in Daggerfall compared to Arena, so probably more visual variety in that sense.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Magicono43 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:43 am
Werewolf wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:37 am Amazing, this is an essential mod! The enemy variety in Daggerfall, while not terrible, left a bit to be desired compared to Arena. This mod boosts the enemy count greatly and the sprites look amazing!
Technically if we are going by numbers alone, Daggerfall had more different enemies than Arena, at least going by the UESP entries. The issue is how level scaling worked in Daggerfall the variety may have felt like less than Arena though, also the enemies are somewhat less "outlandish" looking in Daggerfall compared to Arena, so probably more visual variety in that sense.
Daggerfall had way too many human enemies and vampires looked super similar to humans and the level scaling made you encounter only a few types of enemies in most dungeons. Also some sprites looked bad, werewolves for example looked nothing like werewolves

In a game world as massive as Daggerfall more enemies enhances the immersion. As more new enemy mods pop up in the future and enemy mods get combined into having a massive number of enemies I’d love to see enemies that appear only in certain biomes or regions or season, etc. Could help enhance the world.

Vorzak

Post by Vorzak »

This looks like a cool collection of new enemies to add in the game, I need to try this out. Variety is always good in these games. Adding some from Arena will be interesting, I do wonder how it will blend in with the rest of the enemies in Daggerfall. Though Arena had some decent monsters and arguably slightly more detail in the art, I always thought they looked quite goofy and cartoonish, even more so than Daggerfall’s. Arena has the least monster variety of all TES - I mean, it’s the first game. Daggerfall has over double that of Arena, and then Morrowind has like over 200 types of enemies/monsters. In Oblivion and Skyrim they unfortunately toned down the types of enemies by quite a few.
Werewolf wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:19 am Daggerfall had way too many human enemies and vampires looked super similar to humans...
Too many humanoid enemies? I don’t know. IMO it’s needed. In any RPG and fantasy game you will almost always encounter more humanoid enemy variety than anything else, it makes sense too. Each human enemy has a different set of abilities, have a variety of skills and expertise compared to that of creatures which usually have maybe 1 or 2 abilities. Melee, ranged, magic, stealth, hand-to-hand, etc. and the combinations of those things most creatures are generally unable to do. There’s only so many types of atronach, trolls, wolves, bears, bats, rats, mudcrabs, etc. you can have since they are limited ability types of enemies. Also, in Daggerfall there’s plenty of good visual distinction between variations of humanoid enemies that you can still tell them apart from a distance, if your familiar with the game. I think that’s enough to justify the variety.

IMO it’s good to have many variations within the types of enemies because it adds challenge and it's more for you to keep track of when exploring and in combat. Also, you are playing a humanoid character, you need similar and equally challenging opponents.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Can this mod get added to the GOG version?

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Werewolf wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:06 pm Can this mod get added to the GOG version?
If GOG updates to the current DFU then yes. Otherwise it will softlock your saves or just not work.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

MrFlibble wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:06 pm Minotaur -- doesn't look like it's based on the Oblivion model
Wolf, Hell Hound and Snow Wolf -- seem like original to me (?)
Minotaur is based off of the Oblivion Minotaur using its assets. Almost all the Oblivion models used were modified to fit better. The wolf is a modified Morrowind asset. Changes are made to the textures or meshes themselves to better suit Daggerfall's style.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Kamer wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:30 pm Minotaur is based off of the Oblivion Minotaur using its assets. Almost all the Oblivion models used were modified to fit better. The wolf is a modified Morrowind asset. Changes are made to the textures or meshes themselves to better suit Daggerfall's style.
Thanks for clarifying this!

Concerning the original work made from scratch, would you consider releasing the sprites under a free software license for possible use in other projects (including not Daggerfall related)?