Change location of save games

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
R3D3-1

Change location of save games

Post by R3D3-1 »

Currently, Daggerfall Unity stores save games in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity\Saves.

I would request changing this location. LocalLow is fine for settings, but game saves are more akin to user-created documents; LocalLow is a directory, that typically contains a lot of transient data, and thus typically would be excluded from backups, while users are most likely to want backups for their save games.

LocalLow is a good location for synchronized save-games, e.g. using Steam's save-game API, but that doesn't apply to Daggerfall Unity.

Personally, I solve this discrepancy with symlinks (mklink), but I'd much prefer my saves to be in a different location by default.

Edit. I found the settings.ini setting "MyDaggerfallUnitySavePath". My enhancement request could be restated as "the DEFAULT should not be in LocalLow" then.

TacticalTrickery

Re: Change location of save games

Post by TacticalTrickery »

R3D3-1 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:22 pm ...LocalLow is a directory, that typically contains a lot of transient data, and thus typically would be excluded from backups, while users are most likely to want backups for their save games.
I second-this, for the very same reason of encouraging default backup-software settings to capture the saves, rather than exclude them w/ all the other transient crap in LL.

Think about the average user, not that tech-savvy... They have a terrible day and lose most everything to a hardware failure (or similar). A week later, they manage to restore system backups (maybe w/ a tech-friend, or a professional company) and they're up'n'runnin again with "everything" restored! Everything's great, until they load up DFU to decompress from the terrible string of events... only to find all their saves have fallen into the void!

Not ideal.
ENEMY SPELLBOOK @Nexus: Yellow-square spam, be gone!!
Ancient African proverb: To go fast, go alone. To go far, go together. ~ Humanity's greatest strength is in each other... don't waste it.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

What should the default folder be then? It needs to be something that works cross-platform unless you want to force the average user to specify it themselves. Also, a quick look in my LocalLow folder shows there's a tonne of other games that happily put their saves there but to be fair, a lot of those games also save to the Steam cloud.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The default location is perfectly rational and consistent for this kind of data. This path is determined by the PersistentDataPath property in Unity itself, which ensures a persistent writeable location on all platforms can be accessed in a uniform way.

To open save folder quickly and easily from in game, you can click on the SAVE# text at top right of screenshot in save/load UI to go directly to save folder. One mouse click and you're there.

I also added an option (which you've now found) to the INI several years ago for anyone who wants to change this to a custom folder.

I believe I've covered all the bases here quite thoroughly, and don't intend making any changes.