I Started An Arena Let's Play To Recover From Some Modding Burnout

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Magicono43

I Started An Arena Let's Play To Recover From Some Modding Burnout

Post by Magicono43 »

I was getting pretty clear symptoms of burnout the previous couple of weeks, so I decided to do something about it instead of making it worse, so I started a Let's Play of Arena to give me more motivation to actually just PLAY a game for once, and I'm having quite the good time so far.

If you want to watch the adventure I've already uploaded a bunch of episodes of the series the past few days. Just a note if interested, the audio was not great in the first 2 parts, but I was able to fix the main issues after that point, so don't be too turned off by that aspect.

Magicono43

Re: I Started An Arena Let's Play To Recover From Some Modding Burnout

Post by Magicono43 »

I finished Arena btw, I have my basically full thoughts about it about 7-8 minutes before the end of the video. It was an interesting experience to say the least and I'm glad I played it through.

pango

Post by pango »

Two weeks, seems quite fast! I personally gave up years ago around 1/3rd of main quest, but didn't know much about the game back then, probably made crappy choices during character creation and stuff...
Anyway, I should really find the time to watch that playthru, I did like the roleplaying approach discussed in the introduction
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

pango wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:42 pm Two weeks, seems quite fast! I personally gave up years ago around 1/3rd of main quest, but didn't know much about the game back then, probably made crappy choices during character creation and stuff...
Anyway, I should really find the time to watch that playthru, I did like the roleplaying approach discussed in the introduction
Yeah I was releasing 2 videos of the Let's Play a day that entire time since I started so it was able to go pretty quick compared to some Let's Plays, lol.

I say at the end, that if I was not motivated by the fact I was making videos for this, I probably would have dropped the game half-way before I actually finished it fully, it was a good motivator atleast to get to the end.

On the roleplaying thing, I did do it for a little bit, but after a point I was seeing the direction enemies and dungeon designs were going and just sort of threw it to the way-side for my own sanity, lol. Sorry to disappoint with that, but I did atleast naively try for the first few main-quest dungeons. I do plan to try and follow these self imposed "rules" for this character a bit more as I move to Daggerfall where doing it should hopefully be less obnoxious overall (hopefully.)

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

I love arena for its successes. i would absolutely shriek like an elvis fangirl if arena mechanics that are in the manual, such as parrying, and the class system of arena were put into daggerfall, and all the flavor text and quests.
Arena was soooo ahead of its time. could you imagine if arena were released when morrowind was, and daggerfall when oblivion was, and so on? they'd be epic...

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

daggerdude wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:05 am I love arena for its successes. i would absolutely shriek like an elvis fangirl if arena mechanics that are in the manual, such as parrying, and the class system of arena were put into daggerfall, and all the flavor text and quests.
Arena was soooo ahead of its time. could you imagine if arena were released when morrowind was, and daggerfall when oblivion was, and so on? they'd be epic...
I feel like we are definitely going the direction in the modding community to adding alot of the cool stuff that was in Arena but was never brought over to Daggerfall. Such as alot of the flavor text things here and there (there is still a bunch of others that need modding though), as well as stuff like the locked chests that I am currently working on and such.

But yeah, Arena was really quite the anomaly in many ways compared to later titles in the Elder Scrolls series.