Parry mod.

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Syl

Parry mod.

Post by Syl »

Greets!

I think that a simple mod addin a parryin move would add a great dynamic to combat. Red about the shield module and the dodge mods, but they're heavy, and conflictuals.

This, and weapon range. You and enemies shouldn't hit at the same distance with a fist or a dai katana. Speakin of katanas, they seem overweighted, weightin about double their usual weight.

Cheers to all of you, creators of fun!

l3lessed

Re: Parry mod.

Post by l3lessed »

This is all in my combat mod already. I just need to hammer out some last bugs with the frame smoothing.

However, the current version has a working parry feature and completely customizable stats for every single weapon, including their attach length and speeds. So, no matter what, this is going to be a somewhat heavy mod in that sense.

You will not get in a proper parry system with a full animation without redesigning the fps weapon system like I did. At least you won't until there is further updates to the modding system in relation to custom weapons and sprites and their corresponding animations, and I don't know if or when that will come.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Syl

Post by Syl »

I understand that it's more complicated than what i would wish, but you seem nonetheless to have added a lot of weapon and shield animations that might have be unnecessary. Cause what i red from the coments in nexus's shield module, it that there seems to be some serious issues, and particularly to me: a conflict with darker dungeons and its torches system, wich is redhibitory. :) And, quite some time has passed since the last update and coment from your part.

Didn't dare to install this mod then, but i'd be impressed and grateful if it were to work conflictless.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I hear you. The shield mod is out-of-date. I stop developing it once I began getting close to a first release of my ambidexterity mod, which adds shield use also, along with all the other things you're asking for.

Technically, the ambidexterity module should largely be in a playable state. Just turn off the arc casting option, so you get the vanilla single hit ray system, and turn off the physical weapon setting, so it doesn't detect hitting objects. With those two options off, you should have a vanilla setup that works with shields, adds two handed weapon use, and adds in a full parry and block bash system.

Ambidexterity Mod: viewtopic.php?t=3948

I will make a note that I haven't tried it in 14.4 since they added the custom weapon texture system to the engine, so it may have issues with 14.4. But, I am going to be working on this mod again, now that minimap is in a largely stable form.

Syl

Post by Syl »

Sounds so promisin, but havin downloaded and installed the linux dfmod of ambidextry, nothin changes ingame, althought i can configure the mod. Am i missin somethin? Should i start a new game? Maybe cause i'm on 14.4.

An installation help would add a lot, as i'm not really aquainted with github files. Cheers!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I'm sorry, its 14.4.

I just loaded the mod on Friday into the newest source build, and there is one small change that is causing an error.

I'll fix it soon, by next week, so it can run on 14.4.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

In the Arena manual simultaneous strikes cancel each other out as parries .... No, they didn't actually add it, but it would have been neat.
I wish that parry, block, and dodge were skills that activated like in morrowind - having shield didn't guarantee block, but it raised your AC and did mean some hits were blocked 100%.

So it would be nice if 100% was 25% of all blocks and these skills worked - parry for shieldless combat, dodge for ranged (not everything like it is now, and with visual changes to SHOW you dodged as well as movement)

but i do like ambidexterity mod for what it is. The author put a lot of work into it. it's not the most user friendly mod though, i'll say that now, especially if you use other mods.