[0.14.4] Wraith escaping into Castle Sentinel's Void

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
pango

[0.14.4] Wraith escaping into Castle Sentinel's Void

Post by pango »

As seem in some Grimith's stream
https://clips.twitch.tv/FriendlyUnusual ... v0P9hY__rJ

There's a dangling room next to main castle's glass house, with a door facing it; So player can attract flying enemies, and if they're able to open doors, they may follow the player from within the Void.
Dangling room.jpg
Dangling room.jpg (31.88 KiB) Viewed 448 times
outgoing wraith.jpg
outgoing wraith.jpg (33.19 KiB) Viewed 436 times
(reminded me of the "invisible archer" issue)

That room itself is strange, it cannot be explained like border modules dangling rooms; The only explanation I see for its existence is for its inhabitant to add ambient noise.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Re: [0.14.4] Wraith escaping into Castle Sentinel's Void

Post by Interkarma »

That room and its monster spawn marker are actually in a border block - B0000010. The door of this room is at the normal junction position and would typically connect to a regular N block. A player opening door would find the monster inside room.

However, the custom Sentinel Castle block doesn't respect usual topology at that spot, and doesn't join border at that junction point, so room becomes isolated.

It's your standard floating border geometry problem. Not really much we can do with gamedata like this. It's just how Daggerfall was shipped.

pango

Post by pango »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:02 am That room and its monster spawn marker are actually in a border block - B0000010. The door of this room is at the normal junction position and would typically connect to a regular N block.
I see, that explains a lot. I should have checked the location of modules frontier, that one-of-a-kind castle module hides it well.
This questions monsters detecting enemies thru walls though, but I guess that if this is changed now it'll affect gameplay...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Monsters are intended to hear the player and, if capable, open doors and give chase. They have both vision and hearing for this purpose. They can do this in classic as well.

Nothing wrong with the systems, just a bad map layout.