[WIP] Future Shock Weapons

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
numidium3rd

Re: [WIP] Future Shock Weapons

Post by numidium3rd »

New build is up. Custom paper doll graphics, custom sounds, and muzzle flashes are in. There's unfortunately a new issue where you can't click on the equipped weapon to unequip it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/411

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

numidium3rd wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:06 am New build is up. Custom paper doll graphics, custom sounds, and muzzle flashes are in. There's unfortunately a new issue where you can't click on the equipped weapon to unequip it.

Huh, make sure that the added texture files have their meta-data set to "read/write enabled." I know this caused a similar issue for Diverse Weapons sometime back where it would throw and error when mousing over the paper-doll equipped version.

Edit 1: In this tutorial I made awhile back I describe this, around the time-stamp, 9:45

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

Magicono43 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:14 am Huh, make sure that the added texture files have their meta-data set to "read/write enabled." I know this caused a similar issue for Diverse Weapons sometime back where it would throw and error when mousing over the paper-doll equipped version.
That was exactly the issue - thanks for the quick reply! It was a really quick fix so I already posted an update on nexus.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Glad to hear it worked, nice job on the mod and added graphics guys 8-)

thenameisthegame

Post by thenameisthegame »

I can't wait to try this out! I've been holding back from playing my 'Terminarcher' just for this update. I also did happen to need a bit more work on my vanilla playthrough for future testing purposes so I sorta got distracted...
Magicono43 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:32 am Glad to hear it worked, nice job on the mod and added graphics guys 8-)
:D

thenameisthegame

numidium3rd wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:06 am New build is up. Custom paper doll graphics, custom sounds, and muzzle flashes are in. There's unfortunately a new issue where you can't click on the equipped weapon to unequip it.

I couldn't help but notice a small glow, more noticeable in darker areas, when the mod is enabled! Happens with old save and new game (with no weapons found). All you need is the mod to be enabled and you gain a warm aura of light.

Speaking of glow, I sure am loving the muzzle flash effect! Makes things more interesting and you feel the guns having a 'presence' in the world, but I can bet you it'll have an even greater impact when/if that light aura issue is gone 8-)
Attachments
player_sourced_glow_from_mod.png
player_sourced_glow_from_mod.png (531.4 KiB) Viewed 2450 times

thenameisthegame

Before I forget (about to crash for the night), I did notice what I thought were alignment issues on the paperdoll, but then it was mostly the weapon images themselves that were a bit fuzzy on the edges.

If I compare with my files vs the ones found in the mod, it shows me a difference both visually and canvas size, which I'm not sure if DFU forces into the files by default (all weapons are either 256x256 or 512x512 in the mod), and if it does, I don't know if it can be altered to match the asset's original dimension instead to overwrite the forced changes which, in turn, seem to be the cause for the visual alerations.

As a side note, I'm 66% buying Terminator: Resistance to fetch its SFX for this mod!

EDIT: as a temporary fix for that, I assume dumping my files in StreamingAssets>Textures - renamed to match the mod's new item nomenclature - would overwrite them all into the 'sharp versions'.
Attachments
compressed_or_altered_by_size_change_assets.png
compressed_or_altered_by_size_change_assets.png (77.32 KiB) Viewed 2445 times

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

If Numidium had not already done it when changing the meta-data for the texture files. A cause for the blurry look could be not setting the filter to "Point (no filter)."

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

Magicono43 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:06 am If Numidium had not already done it when changing the meta-data for the texture files. A cause for the blurry look could be not setting the filter to "Point (no filter)."
I set the filtering for all the texture files to Point and hit "apply" but it apparently didn't take effect. I noticed that filtering options are defined in the .png.meta files but those aren't included in Unity's project asset explorer so I can't add them from the mod builder. Is there something I'm missing?
thenameisthegame wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:59 am I couldn't help but notice a small glow, more noticeable in darker areas, when the mod is enabled! Happens with old save and new game (with no weapons found). All you need is the mod to be enabled and you gain a warm aura of light.
That's me not fully extinguishing my muzzle flash. I didn't notice that it didn't go fully dark since I don't play in pitch blackness. It's lucky you do though, otherwise this bug would have slipped under the radar.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

I don't know how bad the blurriness is mentioned, so no clue if that's the issue or not. When importing the assets into the mod-builder they generally get automatically attached to their meta-data, atleast from what I've seen. There may be some other quirk involving the texture that I'm not sure about. Could you take a screenshot of what the meta-data settings tab looks like for one of the textures and maybe some option is set different that could be changed for better effect.