[WIP] Future Shock Weapons

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
numidium3rd

Re: [WIP] Future Shock Weapons

Post by numidium3rd »

thenameisthegame wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:56 pm I've been meaning to ask too, for the purpose of weapon expertise (better chance to hit and doing more damage), would those guns fall under the same categories as those which they appear under for Forbidden Weaponry 'trait'?

Meaning, if I have any one of these as Forbidden Weaponry: Missile Weapon, Axe or Blunt Weapon... I can't equip the gun.
For the purposes of Forbidden Weaponry the guns count as axes. I wanted them to be counted as missile weapons but if you have no arrows then the game's vanilla code prints "you have no arrows" to the screen which isn't relevant to my mod. I'm planning on fixing this in a later release, though.
thenameisthegame wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:56 pm So would having Missile Weaponry, Axe and Blunt Weapon as ''Expertise in'' CONSIDERABLY enhance my hitting and damage dealing capabilities? (read: basically doing 3 stacks of bonus for the Firearm weapon)
Currently, none of the expertise traits will affect your ability to hit and do damage with the guns. The vanilla code checks your current weapon against weapon templates to see if your character has the expertise and the guns use a different template from any other weapon. That's another thing I'm hoping I can fix later.

thenameisthegame

Post by thenameisthegame »

Good to know! So I won't bother getting any proficiencies for them (for now)!

I've been also thinking of getting a female variant of the weapon pngs and xmls that I have so far ''jerry-rigged'' into the mod for my personal pleasure, but found that while the firearms appear as 233 for male, making me use the 233-1-0_Iron template for say, the Uzi... for female it's flagged as 232 in SaveData, which doesn't exist in Arena2 folder for textures and so I can't pull a ''good ol' streamingassets>textures switcheroo''. I believe if it would get flagged as 234 it would work fine. I forget which is meant for male or female though (233 or 234).

As a sidenote, I have dire news on the ''Red Menace'' front: I still get red textures even with those awesome new files. I've tried disabling the mod, starting fresh with a new character and only that mod enabled... still red splashes impact.hits everywhere for every gun...

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

Could you post your Player.log from your C:\Users\(username)\AppData\LocalLow\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity folder assuming you're on Windows? That might explain what's happening with the textures. You might have to put it in a .zip if it's large.

thenameisthegame

Here it is! Loaded with only that as mod, and tried a few weapons during the brief loaded run (bullets, plasma, RPG).
Attachments
Player.7z
(6.72 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

Strange, I don't see any errors in there. I tested this mod on 0.14.5 on Windows. Assuming you have the same configuration and all the graphics are working apart from the impact animations I can only guess that it has to do with the way the texture files are named. Each texture file has an extension that is a 3 digit number. This is a bit of a shot in the dark but do you have the option in Windows set to hide file extensions? I'd try turning that off.

thenameisthegame

numidium3rd wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:06 pm This is a bit of a shot in the dark but do you have the option in Windows set to hide file extensions? I'd try turning that off.
Still doesn't change anything visually too when I check or uncheck the box to view them. I see them as TEXTURE.### (from 000 to more or less 511, with 512 being added by the mod to replace a banned one) just fine. Really strange!

EDIT2: I have 287 files in there, which includes the WEAPON##.CFA and TEXTURE.512 (I think those are all the added files by the mod).

I also ran Future Shock, the impact animations are properly textured there.

thenameisthegame

Double post moment, but this is about some new (maybe) relevant avenues to consider. I figured I'd attach my settings.ini file as to allow for comparison with your functional one.

I vaguely remember interkarma said some things don't work in Retro mode for example (like nature billboard shadows or something like that). Although all of the uploaded screenshots of the mod look the most retro I've ever seen DFU, so on that front it shouldn't be the issue. Maybe something else in the settings still, who knows. FOV? Ratio? I tried changing to 4:3 ratio and still didn't make my red splashes go away.

The other possibility could be the mod behaving differently in Unity editor ''virtual'' version vs being loaded as .dfmod with DFU, but that's assuming this was the way it was tested. Then again, if that was the case, everyone else who downloaded the mod would have the same issue I have. Unless everyone else has and have been silent about it. So that right there might be just a REALLY long shot in the dark, but I'm running out of ideas on what to consider as potential cause...
Attachments
settings.7z
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

My settings.ini is attached. And yes I tested the actual .dfmod with the release version (I learned the hard way that it's very necessary to do that). I use retro rendering with the 4:3, 320x200 options and posterization (full) enabled. I just now tried turning it off to see if it would change anything and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

One thing in the settings files jumped out at me: EnableSpellShadows was set to false while mine was true. I tried changing that and it didn't seem to have an effect though. I will keep comparing these two settings files and see if I notice anything else.
Attachments
settings.zip
(2.04 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

thenameisthegame

I'll compare too, thanks!

I need a break for now though. And by break I mean ''go back to finish up a few weapons.''

I think I'll get the Laser Rifle and Heavy Laser done tonight~

Might take my Orc out, grab a Shotgun, and look for trouble later too.

You know, to relax a bit...
Attachments
Hoborc_with_a_Shotgun.png
Hoborc_with_a_Shotgun.png (391.25 KiB) Viewed 2687 times

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

That's some fine pixel art for the paper doll. A heap sight better than just using an axe sprite :D.