[WIP] Future Shock Weapons

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
thenameisthegame

Re: [WIP] Future Shock Weapons

Post by thenameisthegame »

I'm not even done with the skins, that I'm thinking about the sounds... if I'd want to change which SFX files are used, I'd have to replace them to identical format in the Future Shock files I presume.

I rewatched the intro to Terminator 2: Judgement Day, and noticed we might have enough samples for all the energy weapons. You see humans weilding Laser Rifles, one hardpoint Heavy Laser, while the T-800 weaponry are Plasma. I always thought they sounded the same (and awesome) but at closer inspection it seems to be the same ''sample'' just repitched differently based on the weapon it's attached to. Wouldn't make for clean samples but could be done.

Alternatively I could try to fetch files from Terminator: Resistance but that's still requiring recompression and conversion into whatever Future Shock format would be... which are things I can't very much think of how to do to begin with haha

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

You could theoretically convert any audio file into Future Shock's format but you'd lose a lot of quality. They'd have to be converted to 11025hz 8bit headerless PCM. You'd also have to encrypt it so my mod's decryption process doesn't ruin the samples. I think it would be much better if I just added support for custom .ogg sounds. I might get around to that sometime this weekend.

thenameisthegame

That's great! I should be done with all the weapons this weekend too.

If I could allow myself a bit of constructive feedback for the pack so far, I don't know if you were planning on this, but muzzle flash for non-energy weapons would be great! The flashes happen naturally from energy weapons thanks to you having coded projectile light emission for those so that's neat.

Matching the animation frame that shows a flash would probably be better than matching the RoF of the actual gun since that would be both seizure-inducing and look off as per the visual muzzle flash animation on the gun.

EDIT: Grenade Launcher and RPG are both fine, as they benefit from the projectile emitting light as well.

I've been really enjoying my 'Terminarcher' playthrough so far! While I'm not maxed level with my character yet, I'm entirely focused on hitting and criting with Archery (got 100 Agi and 70 Luk). Around level 10 I'm starting to encounter some resistance with mid-tier enemies compared to, say an Elven Long Bow which I switch to sometimes.

I feel compelled to suggest boosting minimum and maximum damage for the guns a bit:

Uzi, M16, Shotgun, Machine Gun by +1
Laser Rifle, Heavy Laser, Plasma Rifle, Heavy Plasma by +2
Grenade Launcher and RPG by +3
Attachments
No_muzzle_flash_for_non_energy_weapon.png
No_muzzle_flash_for_non_energy_weapon.png (250.28 KiB) Viewed 2621 times

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take any feedback I can get regarding balancing and whatnot since I consider myself much more of a coder than a designer. On a side note, your dungeons look awfully dark. That must be a challenge to get through :lol: .

Anyway, I've been working on the mod a bit and I might have stumbled across the solution to your red texture problem. Look in your GAMEDATA folder for a file called ART_PAL.COL. If it isn't there then make a copy of SHOCK.COL and rename it to ART_PAL.COL. I'm 95% sure this is the issue.

thenameisthegame

numidium3rd wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:08 am On a side note, your dungeons look awfully dark. That must be a challenge to get through :lol: .
I play with near pitch-black dungeons to really make use of torches and the likes! Or muzzle flashes and spells! ;)
numidium3rd wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:08 am Anyway, I've been working on the mod a bit and I might have stumbled across the solution to your red texture problem. Look in your GAMEDATA folder for a file called ART_PAL.COL. If it isn't there then make a copy of SHOCK.COL and rename it to ART_PAL.COL. I'm 95% sure this is the issue.
Guess what? You were 100% right! Thanks! It fixed my problem! I would have 1000% never figured that one out on my own. I can see real explosions... brings a tear to my eye~ because:

I'm done! Finished all the weapons!

Here's the files! Rename/implement how you see fit, but know that for now they were made with the current 1.1.3alpha 'setup' in mind so I only have them aligned with male characters given that female characters seem to try to fetch stuff from arena2 232 when it comes to firearms, which defaults the game to use 233 stuff I think. If/when that gets fixed, I can work on tweaking them for female characters with another batch! The hard part is done anyway so it shouldn't take too long.

Hope you like 'em!
Attachments
FSW_arsenal_m.7z
(88.6 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
FSW_arsenal_m.png
FSW_arsenal_m.png (299.55 KiB) Viewed 2572 times

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

It's baffling to me that no one else has complained about the red textures. The ART_PAL.COL fix was something I did manually to my own install a long time ago and forgot about so everyone except me should be having the same problem. Oh well, I'm adding code that does the fix automatically to the next release.

I'm loving the art. When we get female paper dolls sorted would you like to release it separately as an add-on to my mod or would you like me to incorporate it into my mod and credit you? Either way is fine by me.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

From what I've learned, most people don't actually report any issues that they might experience. So if your mod does not have hundreds of people using it often it's very unlikely to have any reports, unfortunate as that reality is, lol.

thenameisthegame

numidium3rd wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:19 pm I'm loving the art. When we get female paper dolls sorted would you like to release it separately as an add-on to my mod or would you like me to incorporate it into my mod and credit you? Either way is fine by me.
I think it would work best if you incorporate everything into the mod. I'd be honored and happy with credit for the part!~

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

Hey, I have a fix for the paper doll working. Once you get the female version of the textures done I can incorporate it into the mod.

thenameisthegame

I made minor changes to the Shotgun and the Grenade Launcher for all, so here's modified versions of the male as well as the complete female set.

Should be good to go!~
Attachments
FSW_arsenal_234_female.7z
(90.04 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
FSW_arsenal_233_male.7z
(88.29 KiB) Downloaded 84 times