Name one thing that would make Daggerfall’s world better

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Werewolf

Name one thing that would make Daggerfall’s world better

Post by Werewolf »

For me the one thing that would make Daggerfall’s world better and more immersive would be regional/local conditions. Daggerfall Chronicles mentions these but they don’t actually have any effect in the game, though it seems a cut feature was for things like wars, famines, plagues, and holidays would affect the world, I assume the prices of items in shops. I would love for a mod to implement that feature, have those random world events that affect shopkeeper prices, and possibly other things. A small detail but one that would further increase the immersion of Daggerfall, with events unrelated to you affecting the world around you.

Bonus idea, for the countryside I’d love animals. Like deer, birds, foxes, wolves, etc. just lurking about. The countryside mods have really made the countryside go from essentially a psychological tactic to remind you of how genuinely massive the world is to actually having stuff to do (the countryside even with mods still is currently not a replacement for dungeon crawling but I’d say it’s slowly getting there). But as much as the countryside has improved being able to see deer as you explore or see a fox lurking about would really increase the immersion of the countryside. Also I’d love for farmsteads to actually be real farms with large plots for crops and not tiny gardens like they currently are

What is the one thing (or maybe a couple things) that would make Daggerfall’s world feel more immersive?

Jay_H

Re: Name one thing that would make Daggerfall’s world better

Post by Jay_H »

I have moved this topic to the Modding General forum :)

TalonTarp

Post by TalonTarp »

Hmm to me t would be more interactions and uses for things we already have. Let me push objects around in dungeons. Give one of the kick mods a way to kick off the ground like you can in Cruelty Squad for more height. Give spells more combinations. Let us use a row of prayer beads to scatter them in a hallway and cause enemies to fumble. Make it so we can throw weapons. Be able to pick up items and see them as what they are instead of the random loot pile graphic. Have the cursor snap to the loot if we go to loot something. Lots and lots of little things. I don't feel like the world needs more than it has (although it would be nice but resource expensive) I'm more about seeing what's already in the game being expanded upon.

If I had to pick one thing outside of dungeons and purely for the overworld, it would be some form of boarding. Snowboarding, skateboarding, something. Just some sort of unique reason to really want to search for fun and unique experiences out there. Outside of encounters, skyshards, and new places on your map there's not much to find even with mods. The POI's look cool but rarely give you a reason to go there outside of a quest.
Last edited by TalonTarp on Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

Werewolf wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:29 pm For me the one thing that would make Daggerfall’s world better and more immersive would be regional/local conditions. Daggerfall Chronicles mentions these but they don’t actually have any effect in the game, though it seems a cut feature was for things like wars, famines, plagues, and holidays would affect the world...
Have you tried the Power Struggle mod by JohnDoom? It generates events from the core game's factional simulation (the same system that informs the news in conversations). If an NPC tells you that two regions are at war with each other, then you have a chance of witnessing a battle scene in those regions. It also generates plague-related events if a region has a plague and bandit events where there's a crime wave. Keep in mind that the Iliac Bay is huge and these big events don't happen everywhere, so the likelihood of seeing one depends on how far you travel.

C0rg1

Post by C0rg1 »

Multiplayer.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

C0rg1 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:23 amMultiplayer.
Daggerfall is so big that if there was multiplayer, and there would be 5090 players in the server all on at once, and each player would be in a separate town, then no player would even be in the same town, as Daggerfall apparently has 5090 towns.

A multiplayer Daggerfall could have 50,000 players on at once in a single server and if each player was evenly spread apart then there would still be only one player every 3.2 square kilometers (or 1.2 square miles.) With 100,000 players on at once there would be a player every 0.6 square mile, which still means a player could be in a random inn in the town you’re in and you won’t see them. Not to mention at least a couple thousand of those players would be in a dungeon. That is how big Daggerfall is. If there was a multiplayer version then it wouldn’t need servers, it could theoretically have one server with a super high capacity, If there would be 200,000 players on at once and nobody is in a dungeon, then that’s a player every 0.3 square mile. So you’d definitely come across players but even then you could still have to look for another player if you’re in a large city.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

A massively multiplayer mode would also rule out any fast travel or time acceleration options, so even if you knew where other players were, it could take a while to reach them (not to mention going anywhere to complete quests).

Having said that, I believe that small scale multiplayer (i.e. two players in co-op) could be workable. You could even adapt the fast travel so that it only happens when both players have pressed the "Begin" button.

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

I would love to see controllable ships you can actually use to sail the ocean. Obviously to make this interesting would require the inclusion of a lot of content such as NPC ships or sea monsters, and the inclusion of some form of naval combat. But on the short term, I think just controllable ships would be cool. We already have a mod that adds controllable airships, so I don't think ships would be impossible.

This might be a little more farfetched than controllable ships but it would be cool if the water in the overworld worked like actual water and not just different-colored ground.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

imsobadatnicknames wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:00 am This might be a little more farfetched than controllable ships but it would be cool if the water in the overworld worked like actual water and not just different-colored ground.
Alternatively, it would be good if the overworld water in the ocean region (even if it was different-coloured ground) had slaughterfish spawning when the player went in. The manual claims that they've infested the waters of the bay. On the other hand, the manual also claims that you need a rope to climb the walls (oops).

pango

Post by pango »

More anisotropy.

By that I mean, locations must have specific interests otherwise all places are basically equivalent and there's less incentive to travel. I do like procedurally generated worlds and I think it's the only way to go for a world as gigantic as Daggerfall, so I'm not asking for unique locations; just more rare properties scattered around the world (and that are static, like Daggerfall world already is).
For example, trainers could train you up to their own level, that varies from guild to guild and from skill to skill. In some guilds, a trainer is extremely gifted in a given skill, so if you're interested in raising that skill you'd look for such "master".
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart