How about yet another weapon swing method?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
nicksta1310

How about yet another weapon swing method?

Post by nicksta1310 »

Yeah, I should just keep my big keyboard shut sometimes. :mrgreen:

So, we have three weapon swing methods implemented in DFU at the moment:

1) the classic Daggerfall/Arena/Ultima Underworld method (hold the right mouse button and move mouse)
2) the Morrowind method (click mouse button once to attack once)
3) number 2 in a loop with the mouse button held down

The advantages of 2 and 3 are obvious (easier to input, especially when you want to move your character at the same time), but the disadvantage is that the weapon swing is randomised. The different weapon swings are not just for show: they have different chances to hit and damage bonuses.

I suggest a 4th option, which is number 3 plus a hotkey to set the type of swing in advance. A character with low agility and weapon skill would be better off if every weapon swing was a thrust. A character with high agility and weapon skill would be better off with more overhead swings.

Jay_H

Re: How about yet another weapon swing method?

Post by Jay_H »

I have moved this topic to Modding General :)

WhiskeyTangoWoodElf

Post by WhiskeyTangoWoodElf »

YES! I have been thinking about this as an option for a while now. Not to throw any shade, but I really do not know why this is not a feature built into Core DFU (With settings to choose from options 1-4).

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

This has been discussed a couple of tomes before and the best setup for something like this I imagine would be:

Click: Randmly select left or right swing.
Hold-click: Overhead attack
Double-click: Thrust attack

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

Should probably be forced to always use thrust attack if submerged...

C0rg1

Post by C0rg1 »

Another method of swinging a weapon in a mele game may have been overlooked.
An old game titled "Die by the Sword" used the smooth mouse movements to control the right arm of your protagonist.
You can find plenty of videos on YouTube about it.
Unlike Daggerfall which seems chunky, this presentation is smooth and more accurate.
It does not affect gameplay like your suggestion but I thought I'ld give it a mention.
It was not VR but the game seems ideal setup for a VR immersion such as Occulous.
Unfortunately it is extremely dated in comparison to what they already have out there right now.

Daedros

Post by Daedros »

I also wouldn't mind seeing a similar #3 "Hold Loop" option for spellcasting targeted spells. Sure would make spamming training spells a lot easier on the fingers/mouse (and not have to set a macro for my Razer mouse).

gwemby

Post by gwemby »

2) the Morrowind method (click mouse button once to attack once)
That's not entirely accurate, though. Morrowind featured different attack types determined by player movement.
Frankly, that would seem to me to be the logical way to include directional attacks: parity with later games in the series, and no extra inputs beyond clicking once per attack.
i love you and wish you happy gaming <3