DFU Crash On Start

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
furblscrop

DFU Crash On Start

Post by furblscrop »

Having the same problem (window with red exclamation, won't start up). I only just installed DFU and got to select the appriate DAGGERFALL folder, but then it crashed and now I cant get it to start again.

deleted the registry key, got daggerfall files from both steam and daggerfallfiles.com, and both 32 and 64 bit versions of DFU but still getting the same error.

any other ideas for things I can try?

Interkarma

Re: DFU Crash On Start

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there. :) I'll split this into it's own topic. It's best to start your own support topic rather than bump someone else's. Even if a problem looks similar, the root cause and path to resolving is often unique for each person.

The crash you're seeing on startup means the Unity runtime isn't able to launch. I understand it usually happens when there are two monitors with certain arrangements (e.g. different resolutions, scaling, or 1st monitor not set as primary display).

The problem is the same one answered in this topic for a different Unity game on Steam forums. I'll basically copy their temp fixes here.
  • Set the game to play on your main monitor by changing your primary display in windows to your 1st monitor.
  • Change your UI scaling of your 2nd monitor to the same as your main monitor.
  • Disconnect your other monitors.
  • Delete the registry key at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity". Right-click and delete the whole "Daggerfall Unity" key at this folder. Don't delete anything else.
I don't have a permanent fix at this time. The crash is actually happening in the Unity runtime before DFU even starts. Hopefully Unity fix this someday, and we'll inherit the fix when moving up to that engine version.

Good luck!