Book Reviews

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
nicksta1310

Re: Book Reviews

Post by nicksta1310 »

Done. :)

King Edward, Part IX by Anonymous
A contrived tangent to Nord mythology about the God of Luck. It would have been better off as its own book, but it's unexceptional either way.

King Edward, Part X by Anonymous
The tangent continues, but with more notable myths and hints of history that seekers of lore may find interesting. This really should have been its own book.

King Edward, Part XI by Anonymous
A bizarre change of pace that leaves me puzzled, like an epilogue out of turn. There be some wit and a little insight here, but focus is no more.

King Edward, Part XII by Anonymous
The adventure has vanished with barely a trace, replaced by dense deliberations about the nature of magicka, gods and daedras that I suspect were derived from developer brainstorming sessions. The unprocessed lore may be a treasure trove to a few readers, but others will be bored and likely disappointed that this is the final chapter.

The Legend of Lovers Lament by Croll Baumoval
It feels like an early draft that was rushed out the door. All of the context is crammed in an infodump near the end. Read Mara's Tear instead.

Mysticism by Tetronius Lor
A brief quote nearly says it all: "None of these explanations is truly satisfactory." I will add, however, that the interesting statements are grossly outnumbered by the spelling errors.

Brief History of the Empire, Part IV by Stronach
A worthy conclusion and clearly the most important volume for players who wish to learn more of the Empire's background during the game's events. The glowing description of Uriel Septim VII raised an eyebrow, but perhaps it's just my imagination.

That concludes my reviews of each volume in the game (90 in total). My next post will be an overall summary of recommendations and then I'm taking a long break from the game to reacquaint myself with productivity. :mrgreen:

nicksta1310

Re: Book Reviews

Post by nicksta1310 »

This is the TL;DR version of my book reviews, where you can read a list of the titles I recommend. The books that have multiple volumes in a series will be listed as a single title.

I listed my recommendations in several categories to inform players with specific needs or interests, which is why a few titles appear on more than one list.

Essential Reading for the Main Quest
The War of Betony by Vulper Newgate
The War of Betony by Fav'te

Useful Information for Inexperienced Players
The Brothers of Darkness
Confessions of a Thief
Invocation of Azura
Legal Basics
On Lycanthropy
On Oblivion
Special Flora of Tamriel
Vampires of the Iliac Bay
Wabbajack

Light Reading Between Dungeons
Banker's Bet
A Dubious Tale of the Crystal Tower
The Ebon Arm
The Healer's Tale
Ius, Animal God
Mara's Tear
The Sage
A Scholar's Guide to Nymphs
A Tale of Kieran

Bonus Lore
The Alik'r
The Asylum Ball
Biography of Queen Barenziah
Brief History of the Empire
Broken Diamonds
The Brothers of Darkness
Divad the Singer
The Ebon Arm
Etiquette With Rulers
Fragment: On Artaeum
A History of Daggerfall
Invocation of Azura
Ghraewaj
The Madness of Pelagius
Mara's Tear
The Memory Stone
The Old Ways
The Real Barenziah
Redguards, History and Heroes
Rude Song
The Sage
The Story of Lyrisius
Wabbajack
Wayrest: Jewel of the Bay

Well, that's it. I hope this thread has been useful for some of you. Have fun!