NPCs missing

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Kuriboh908

NPCs missing

Post by Kuriboh908 »

I was in Tulune, looking for some jobs at an inn (The Thirsty Dog) and I began the "The Harpies' Nest" quest for the innkeeper. I returned to the Fighter's Guild, where I usually spend the night, only to find that both the Quest Giver and the Skill Trainer had vanished. I didn't give it too much importance, because I recalled that having happened previously. Anyways, I went to the dungeon, killed some harpies, exited the dungeon, went back into the dungeon (because I got a letter from quest giver saying I had to rescue someone), rescued the guy, exited the dugeon again and returned to Tulune. When I got back to The Thirsty Dog, the innkeeper and a random NPC had also disappeared. I went to check at the Fighter's Guild and now only the smith was left.

What happened to my world? Is this a bug or a feature of some kind? Can I materialize them again through commands or modifying my save file?
SAVE6.zip
(557.81 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

Jay_H

Re: NPCs missing

Post by Jay_H »

Hello! This forum is only able to help with regards to unmodded Daggerfall Unity. Your save file has a lot of mods in use, which is most likely where the problem is. Try disabling all mods, and then seeing if the problem continues.

I know that the Animated NPCs mod can cause this problem, but I can't say whether that's happening in this case or not.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Two things could possibly be happening:

First is that some NPCs "go home" outside of hours and not be present at their place of work. This is normal and expected, and the NPCs should turn up again during business hours.

Second is the unfortunate issue with Vanilla Enhanced Animated People Jay mentions above. The cause of this is unknown. It only seems to crop up a randomly after game has been running for a while, making it difficult to diagnose. A quick save and restart the game (close fully and start up again) usually solves this one.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

Interkarma wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:13 pm Second is the unfortunate issue with Vanilla Enhanced Animated People Jay mentions above. The cause of this is unknown. It only seems to crop up a randomly after game has been running for a while, making it difficult to diagnose. A quick save and restart the game (close fully and start up again) usually solves this one.
I'm not sure if my speculation will help, so feel free to disregard it. I remember that quest NPCs occasionally didn't show up when using 0.14.3 with or without that mod. I also remember that it was resolved with the same workaround you mentioned above. Could it be the same cause?