I met Brisienna and she still thinks I'm a traitor

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
nicksta1310

I met Brisienna and she still thinks I'm a traitor

Post by nicksta1310 »

I'm not sure if this is due to DFU or the Optional Main Quest mod. I'm using 0.14.4 on Linux. Sorry, I don't have a save file: this happened a while ago and I didn't know that it was an issue at the time.

I met Brisienna at the tavern with plenty of time to spare and the quest eventually entered my Finished Quests log. However, I received news afterwards from an NPC conversation that she left the tavern muttering about traitors to the Empire. According to UESP, that means that the quest was recorded as a failure.

Interkarma

Re: I met Brisienna and she still thinks I'm a traitor

Post by Interkarma »

If you have a save at this point, I'd be happy to take a look. :)

Quest completion is a bit finnicky in DF. Quests technically don't succeed or fail, they either finish with a reward (or null reward) or they just end. Generally, the former is seen as a success and the latter as a failure, but that's simply an abstraction. The quest system itself doesn't have a firm concept of success/failure for individual quests.

I'd need to review _BRISIEN, but this might just be related to how quest is being terminated either in base game or modded version of quest.

nicksta1310

Re: I met Brisienna and she still thinks I'm a traitor

Post by nicksta1310 »

I had a look at _BRISIEN on the DFU github after reading part of JayH's quest writing tutorial. I think I found the problem: the task that begins when the player clicks on Brisienna (meetladyb) is missing the "give pc nothing" action.