Running Daggerfall Unity on a UHD 600 Graphics laptop

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Blowingsand

Running Daggerfall Unity on a UHD 600 Graphics laptop

Post by Blowingsand »

I bought this game when it came out and never could play it. I'm 68 years old now and amazed at how you have turned all the potential of DAGGERFALL into reality!

Now playing my first game as a healer. I just got out of Privateer's hold with just my fists. At the near village of Burgley I was told "the Temple of Stendarr was in Charwood. I went there and joined the temple and got my first quest. I was told the directions to head to the nearest taverns in Charwood.

One thing I would like to see fixed before 1.0:
I received a new laptop with Intel UHD Graphics 600 for Christmas. I get a steady 30-35 FPS everywhere except in taverns. I've read all the posts about this issue - tried downgrading/un-enabling all the suggested settings, but I still get 10-14 FPS in the taverns. I think this is the number 1 issue that still needs your attention before 1.0.

btw, essential mods for me are "D.R.E.A.M." (because it is beautiful), "Quest Offer Locations" (because I like to know where I am going before agreeing to go there), and "Enemy Health Bar" (because I like to know how effective my attacks are), and "Persistent Dungeons" (so I can go "on the wagon":)

Thanks to the community making this remake!

Jay_H

Re: Daggerfall Unity Release Candidate and 1.0 Schedule

Post by Jay_H »

Blowingsand wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:57 am One thing I would like to see fixed before 1.0:
I received a new laptop with Intel UHD Graphics 600 for Christmas. I get a steady 30-35 FPS everywhere except in taverns. I've read all the posts about this issue - tried downgrading/un-enabling all the suggested settings, but I still get 10-14 FPS in the taverns. I think this is the number 1 issue that still needs your attention before 1.0.
I ran a comparison on the Intel UHD 600, and it doesn't look like it meets DFU's requirements. I have here a comparison between it and a 2014 GPU:

It looks like that display will need to be changed before you can get smooth framerate in DFU, especially if you run it with DREAM.

Blowingsand

Post by Blowingsand »

Well, I'll should just be grateful it runs at all on my new laptop then.
I mean, I can live with 13 frames in the taverns - its just kinda wobbly with everywhere else running great.
Hey, wobbly in the taverns, its actually immersive really. :lol:

btw, mods don't seem to effect my fps at all. I turned them all on one-at-a-time to verify this.
I run all of D.R.E.A.M., Archeologists, All Roleplay Realisms (except encumbrance), Quest Offer Locations, Enemy Health Bar, Unleveled Loot, ViewableSkillProgress and Fixed Dungeon Exteriors.

pango

Post by pango »

Blowingsand wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:57 am I received a new laptop with Intel UHD Graphics 600 for Christmas. I get a steady 30-35 FPS everywhere except in taverns. I've read all the posts about this issue - tried downgrading/un-enabling all the suggested settings, but I still get 10-14 FPS in the taverns.
Just to be sure, does that include "Simplify Interior Lighting" setting introduced in 0.14.1?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Blowingsand wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:25 pm Well, I'll should just be grateful it runs at all on my new laptop then.
I use DF Unity on my old Linux laptop, which only has a Intel HD Graphics 3000 which is even slower than the UHD 600. I have set DF Unity to retro rendering mode in 640x480 with 4:3 aspect ratio correction. Switch off antialiasing and such stuff, just enjoy the pixel look. This way, it runs really smooth. I can even us the World of Daggerfall mod, the tavern mod etc. - just no "DREAM" stuff or higher resolutions. (For that, I use my Windows PC with a dedicated GPU).

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

haloterm wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:06 pm I have set DF Unity to retro rendering mode in 640x480 with 4:3 aspect ratio correction. Switch off antialiasing and such stuff, just enjoy the pixel look. This way, it runs really smooth. I can even us the World of Daggerfall mod, the tavern mod etc. - just no "DREAM" stuff or higher resolutions. (For that, I use my Windows PC with a dedicated GPU).
I have also been getting used to retro mode in 4:3 for other reasons, but I found that temporal anti-aliasing was almost a necessity for it, because the middle of the screen during motion was swimming around like a morass of Z-fighting that would have left me cross-eyed with a headache otherwise. None of the other AA methods mitigated the problem. On the other hand, that may not be the usual case with retro mode.

pango

Post by pango »

nicksta1310 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:10 pm I have also been getting used to retro mode in 4:3 for other reasons, but I found that temporal anti-aliasing was almost a necessity for it, because the middle of the screen during motion was swimming around like a morass of Z-fighting that would have left me cross-eyed with a headache otherwise. None of the other AA methods mitigated the problem. On the other hand, that may not be the usual case with retro mode.
That's the expected result of texture mapping with no filtering at a low resolution, and the "correct" way (from a technical point of view) to fix that is to enable the hidden setting UseMipMapsInRetroMode.
off:
Eoeat-pW4AkzXRQ.jpeg
Eoeat-pW4AkzXRQ.jpeg (315.67 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
on:
EoeawfFXEAEn6Gb.jpeg
EoeawfFXEAEn6Gb.jpeg (242.2 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
(source https://twitter.com/p_etchemaite/status ... 5588294657)

Admittedly screenshots are not the best way to demonstrate how it looks in game as you look around, but you get the idea nearby textures are unchanged whereas distant textures are averaged so this prevents aliasing ("ants") as you move or look around.
The good news is that enabling mipmaps should result in a (slight) performance improvement.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Re: Running Daggerfall Unity on a UHD 600 Graphics laptop

Post by Interkarma »

I'll split this into its own discussion in Help & Support as things have gone off topic.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

pango wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:09 pm That's the expected result of texture mapping with no filtering at a low resolution, and the "correct" way (from a technical point of view) to fix that is to enable the hidden setting UseMipMapsInRetroMode.
Thank you thank you thank you! :)

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

pango wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:09 pmand the "correct" way (from a technical point of view) to fix that is to enable the hidden setting UseMipMapsInRetroMode.
Oh!

Thanks for this hint. Maybe this option could be made un-hidden in later versions?