Daggerfall Unity Release Candidate and 1.0 Schedule

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Daggerfall Unity Release Candidate and 1.0 Schedule

Post by Interkarma »

Hi All,

The final feature item on Daggerfall Unity's roadmap (Localization) is now almost feature complete.

In the next week or two, I'm releasing 0.15 Beta in pre-release mode for testing. This is the final release cycle where I potentially introduce any new issues or break compatibility with existing mods. See this tweet for more details about the upcoming Localization release.

So, what happens now?

Starting from today, I will no longer merge new Pull Requests that do not fix an accepted issue. PRs from before today will be reviewed based on merit and likelihood to introduce regressions before being merged.

This will be the schedule of releases from now up to 1.0:
  • 0.15.0 - 0.15.x - Localization pre-release. This is a test release cycle to find any critical issues in Localization and recent changes introduced up to this point. Mod authors should test their mods against this release as soon as possible to ensure no compatibility issues. Based on the last few release cycles, we should be back to stable Beta releases by 0.15.4 or 0.15.5.
  • 0.16.0 - Release Candidate. No new features or substantial changes of any kind will be merged beyond this point. Mainly a version uptick to indicate game has entered RC stage. The goal here is to make core game as stable as possible. Only critical bugs will receive priority fixes.
  • 1.0 - Release.
At this stage, Daggerfall Unity will enter post-release maintenance. I'm planning to step away from the project for a while for a well-earned break. After my break, I will start work on a new game project.

I do intend to revisit DFU to help fix bugs post 1.0, and look forward to being part of the community for years to come. But my days as the sole project lead and maintainer are coming to an end.

At this time, I do not have a commitment from anyone to continue development and maintenance of Daggerfall Unity in my place. This is something I will continue to operate as a best effort in my free time until a suitable steward can be found for the project.

Not many projects of this sort make it so far, for a variety of reasons. But we have together seen this one through to the end. For my part, this has been the most incredible journey. I'll cherish the last several years for the rest of my life.

Carlos Danger

Re: Daggerfall Unity Release Candidate and 1.0 Schedule

Post by Carlos Danger »

Glad to hear that DFU is almost feature complete, I know its not really news or anything since I have been following your progress on twitter since you started. But iirc you wanted yo do a bunch of your own projects that you were planning on doing after DFU was complete. Still a big fan of your work, and I look forward to seeing what you do next.
"But that's like, your opinion, man."

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you, Carlos. It gives me some confidence to know people might still be interested in what I do next. :)

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

It's been amazing seeing so many Daggerfall fans pop up through the years to help make this a reality. Of course none of it would have been possible without the rock solid foundation that Interkarma built. You've given us a lot and I'm happy to see you gravitating towards your own personal projects now.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

Congratulations on reaching the home stretch. Daggerfall Unity has become one of my favourite games ever.

JorisVanEijden

Post by JorisVanEijden »

Oh wow, I step away for just a moment and bang, a release candidate ;)
Congrats on yet another big milestone!

And just when I wanted to look into maybe picking up Daggerfall Unity development again.
I'll take a gander at the GitHub issues to see if there's anything left to do.

I'd also be very interested in working on, helping with, assisting for, helping out, collaborating on, any new Unity projects you may have in the pipeline.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Words can not describe the gratitude I feel for everything you (and the team) did on this project. It was a incredible ride and Im so glad I was a part of this. Version 1.0 will be a strong nostalgic moment for me as so much has happened during the years since v0.2 when I joined. This is really something else mate... Thank you!

PS: yup, if I can be of any help in the new project, Id give it a try...

Reignhardt

Post by Reignhardt »

Thank you so much for working on this project, Interkarma. You have renewed my childhood game and I am playing it again finally after all these years (played originally in 1996-ish). I am having a blast! I registered on the formus here just to tell you this and to make a request, although it looks like I may be too late for the request!
Not to worry, this exceeds all my expectations and I am enjoying myself!

Thank you again, good sir!
~Reignhardt

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Incredible what you managed to do! Never thought this would be possible, but you had the endurance to walk the whole way - congrats!

ultimaratio

Post by ultimaratio »

Thanks for seeing DU through to the end.