Sometimes when entering dungeons the resolution changes from low resolution to the full resolution

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Hegel

Sometimes when entering dungeons the resolution changes from low resolution to the full resolution

Post by Hegel »

I play on low resolution both for FPS and to emulate more of the classic experience. The resolution seems to change half of the time I enter in a dungeon from 640x480 all the way to full resolution, and I have to fiddle with the resolution settings by restarting the game several times in order to fix it.
Last edited by Hegel on Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Re: Sometimes when entering dungeons the resolution changes from low resolution to full resolution

Post by Interkarma »

Please don't run the game at low resolutions, this is the wrong way to go about this. Resolutions like 640x480 don't work well with Unity and are the wrong geometry for Daggerfall regardless.

Instead, always run DFU at your monitor's normal desktop resolution (e.g. 1080p, 1440p) and enable Retro Rendering Mode. This will render the game world internally to a proper 320x200 or 640x400 framebuffer and ensure it's presented with clean aspect ratio correction. You can choose an aspect ratio of 16:10, 4:3, or off to use whatever your monitor uses. You also have the option to use posterization or palettization for more retro colours.

Once you set the game back to native resolution, enable Retro Rendering by pausing game and clicking the chevron at top-left of screen. Select "Effect Settings" and configure retro mode as needed.

nicksta1310

Re: Sometimes when entering dungeons the resolution changes from low resolution to full resolution

Post by nicksta1310 »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:14 am Please don't run the game at low resolutions, this is the wrong way to go about this. Resolutions like 640x480 don't work well with Unity and are the wrong geometry for Daggerfall regardless.
It probably shouldn't be an option on the launcher menu if it doesn't work well with Unity.

I hope that running the game in a window is okay.

Interkarma

Re: Sometimes when entering dungeons the resolution changes from low resolution to the full resolution

Post by Interkarma »

Nah, it's more nuanced than that. I'm just providing a simple answer while leading into the best solution. Retro mode is the right way to go about this.

Please don't derail other people's support topics, okay? :) This area of the forums isn't for general conversation, replies should aim to help the topic creator. Cheers.