Freeze on class select

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
dfff00

Freeze on class select

Post by dfff00 »

Once I get to the class select menu, it's just stuck. I can still move the cursor around but nothing's responsive. With mods, without mods, with the GOG installer, with the DaggerfallGameFiles method.

I played the GOG cut a tiny bit and wasn't a fan of some of its mods, but it functioned. I uninstalled it to start clean with my own mods on 1.4.5 but it's not going well. The player.log file has some random errors, like not finding the textures for 3D animals, but the most relevant snippet is this repeating several times at the end:

Code: Select all

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.CreateCharClassSelect.Setup () [0x0004e] in <173b5088bd2041d4b028be1f9578885c>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallBaseWindow.Update () [0x00069] in <173b5088bd2041d4b028be1f9578885c>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallPopupWindow.Update () [0x00000] in <173b5088bd2041d4b028be1f9578885c>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterfaceWindows.DaggerfallListPickerWindow.Update () [0x00000] in <173b5088bd2041d4b028be1f9578885c>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.DaggerfallUI.Update () [0x000d8] in <173b5088bd2041d4b028be1f9578885c>:0 
What do?

Interkarma

Re: Freeze on class select

Post by Interkarma »

Hey, welcome to forums. :) This is almost certainly caused by lingering mods or a bad setup. 'll step your through creating a clean install.

First thing to do is just delete any existing setups. Remove any DFU folders you created and uninstall GOG Cut if still there.

Then empty the persistent data path. I believe you've found this already as you posted a snippet of player log, but just in case here's how to locate. You can safely keep the Saves and Screenshots folder if you have any you want to keep. Just be sure to delete everything else including settings.ini.

Now, install a fresh copy of the game using the recommended DaggerfallGameFiles method. Be sure to unzip the game data and DFU to clean, separate folders as directed. Don't add any mods or make any changes to the setup until you've confirmed game is working.

If you still have problems please zip your complete log file and attach to a reply here. Good luck!

dfff00

Re: Freeze on class select

Post by dfff00 »

Whoops, yeah, it's just a mod thing. I wiped everything when I uninstalled the GOG cut and went with their basic installer instead, but I figured I'd keep my settings when switching from that to the DaggerfallGameFiles archive. I didn't think that was at fault since it still froze when I'd toggled the mods off, but looks like I've got some hunting to do.

Edit: I realized earlier it wasn't a mod per se; it was me installing that burglar class fix in the arena2 folder, but changing the extension of and leaving the original .cfg file in the same folder as a backup, since that's my habit when modding. Daggerfall was still trying to read it, I guess, and freaking out.