[0.14.5] Painting Name Display Text MCP Issue

Moderators will move topics here from Help & Support once an issue has been confirmed and enough information provided to reproduce.
Magicono43

[0.14.5] Painting Name Display Text MCP Issue

Post by Magicono43 »

So some generated painting have issues when displaying their "title text." The issues seems to have some pattern depending on the image being used and I assume what "pool" of names they are attempting to pull from. It's a moderately frequent occurrence if you create a bunch of paintings, so it's pretty easy to reproduce.

To reproduce, just use the console command "add painting 100" or some value like that and go through the paintings that were just spawned using info-mode. Most paintings will be fine, but a good few will likely have bugged out title text such as these below example:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (94.13 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (108.51 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (100.91 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
The especially bad things about these bugged ones is that the "error text" parts seem to compound on each other everytime the display of said name gets refreshed, so if you kept checking the name in info-mode for these bugged ones the text would just continue to get larger and larger, as you can see the little window info on some starting to bleed out of the info window.

In terms of solutions I've got no clue atm, just observed it and wanted to report it. Band-aid solution might be to atleast try and prevent the "error text" from getting larger and larger whenever it is refreshed, better a static bugged title than one that keeps getting worse and worse, lol. Thanks for reading.

Interkarma

Re: [0.14.5] Painting Name Display Text MCP Issue

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for reporting. This is possibly due to how the paintings are added by console. I only created that command to generate paintings to fix image/text alignment. It was added quickly and has no other purpose. I'd be interested if this happened "in the wild" without using console. Not sure about endlessly extending text though.

I'll move to issues and either fix or remove console command depending on underlying problem.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Interkarma wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:53 am Thanks for reporting. This is possibly due to how the paintings are added by console. I only created that command to generate paintings to fix image/text alignment. It was added quickly and has no other purpose. I'd be interested if this happened "in the wild" without using console. Not sure about endlessly extending text though.

I'll move to issues and either fix or remove console command depending on underlying problem.
Just a note, I was adding some painting in through a mod I was working on, and was experiencing the same thing with some of the painting having the messed up title text and such. But I suppose that's not too important to know, since I basically copy/pasted how you were adding them through the console command, lol.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I didn't consider MCP expansion at all when adding this command, so likely my method is incomplete for proper gameplay use. I was only interesting in fixing image/text problem at the time.

I'd dig into the code that adds paintings via normal drop tables, it's very likely more complete and won't have this issue. Paintings have been in the game for years now, and I can't recall anyone raising this before. Still worth looking into though to be certain.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Interkarma wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:04 am I didn't consider MCP expansion at all when adding this command, so likely my method is incomplete for proper gameplay use. I was only interesting in fixing image/text problem at the time.

I'd dig into the code that adds paintings via normal drop tables, it's very likely more complete and won't have this issue. Paintings have been in the game for years now, and I can't recall anyone raising this before. Still worth looking into though to be certain.
Cool, obviously not a big deal considering how uncommon painting already are in the vanilla game. But next I work on that mod I'll try to find how paintings are added in the more "proper" way as you mentioned for places like shops.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

I can confirm that I've just observed the same issue with paintings generated by the game the normal way, with no mods being used. I loaded a vanilla save for testing, fast travelled to a random city and had my character snoop around storage boxes in the palace, and one finding was a painting with the same srcDataUnknown in place of a random noble's name.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I remember I was involved in implementing the painting text stuff, took a while but we did get it working right. If anyone has any saves with legitimately found paintings exhibiting this behaviour please provide savegames and I will take a look.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods