Intentional of bugs?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
ankruma

Intentional of bugs?

Post by ankruma »

I have two separate questions:

1) If you have Light Powered Magery: Lower Magic Ability in Darkness and/or Darkness Powered Magery: Lower Magic Ability in Daylight disadvantages, then you can still have lots of spell points from enchanted items which won't be reduced by these disadvantages, making these disadvantages must have (they give lots of points) even for spellcasters. While Light Powered Magery: Unable to Use Magic in Darkness and/or Darkness Powered Magery: Unable to Use Magic in Daylight are very very bad disadvantages unless you're not planning to cast any spells at all, because they just set your Magicka to 0, ignoring any bonuses to it. So my question is: shouldn't these disadvantage work similary? Why one type of disadvantage only works on your base Magicka, while another works on your total?

2) I understand that DFU doesn't want to change vanilla much, but enchantment has one huge oversight, which looks more like a bug. Plus DFU already fixed similar oversight with class creation - where you can't pick many similar disadvantages (e.g. you can't pick inability to cast spells AND lowered spellcasting at the same time in DFU), and yet DFU never fixed enchanting, where you can pick Health Leech: When used for item which is never used. As the result enchanting is completely broken and easy. You can enchant some poor clothes with super OP enchantments by simply picking disadvantage that doesn't work which gives you 4000 enchantment points. So why DFU never fixed it? It's just weird that DFU fixed similar problem with class making and yet DFU ignored almost the same problem with enchanting.

Kisdfaer

Re: Intentional of bugs?

Post by Kisdfaer »

It just seems strange that DFU solved a problem with class creation while ignoring a fault with enchanting that was essentially identical.

pango

Post by pango »

That's probably an oversight (only Interkarma can tell if he noticed this before); Main problem for fixing that now may be timing, current goal is to reach 1.0 release and the game has officially entered feature freeze, not the best time to modify game mechanics.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

That's almost certainly an oversight. When I worked on the class creation system that part of the code was completely separate from the magic/enchantment system so it didn't really occur to me to look at enchantment conflicts. It seems like that could be a relatively simple fix so maybe we could get that in before 1.0.

Lywzc

Post by Lywzc »

The second one is certainly not a bug because the point is that you can use it. Even if you restrict it to only be available with at least one "Cast When Used" enchantment, you can still use it and "Cast When Used: Stamina" and have -3870 points. You can also stack "User Takes Damage In Sunlight" and "Regens Health In Sunlight" to get -3000 points. In conclusion, enchanting system itself is very exploitable in a lot of ways in Daggerfall and only a total revamp can prevent those exploits but then it will certainly exceeds DFU's bounds. So unless something is clearly a bug I don't think it is worth changing.