Disapearing nature shadows

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
King of Worms

Disapearing nature shadows

Post by King of Worms »

DFU 0.14.5, no mods, Windows 10

settings.ini
GeneralBillboardShadows = True
NatureBillboardShadows = True

Load this save - no mods enabled - and turn a bit to the left or right, and the tree shadows will disappear.
Can someone replicate it please?
SAVE111.rar
(243.26 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

EDIT: It seems it happens only on some locations and its time of a day independent.
1st, pls someone load this save and test it. If confirmed, we can think on why it happens in some regions and not the other ones. Thank you :)

pango

Re: Disapearing nature shadows

Post by pango »

Yup, I could replicate it easily. Shadows only appear if I look almost straight west or straight east.
In other locations it gets worse, and shadows only appear in one of the two cases.
And in high quality settings, shadows may only disappear partially, starting from furthest (matching shadowmask cascade?)

Maybe there has been some regression, and since nature billboard shadows is no longer the default it passed below radars?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Im quite sure its regression, I use the nature shadows all the time and just noticed it recently, after I went to 0.14.5
What makes it also hard to spot is the fact that in some regions this issue does NOT happen..

I pray to gods this can be solved. I really like the nature shadows.

If it helps anything, I can name some regions (with saves) where the problem does not occur.

pango

Post by pango »

The perfect time to use Git bisect then! It points at commit 84e155af (PR), which consists of one big performance rewrite of DaggerfallBillboardBatch.cs
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

pango wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:53 am The perfect time to use Git bisect then! It points at commit 84e155af (PR), which consists of one big performance rewrite of DaggerfallBillboardBatch.cs
Thanks for this Pango, this IK comment on git is scary to me:
Shadows on nature flats are essentially deprecated since 0.13 however. I left option in settings.ini, but it's not something I see a lot of need to support. If not possible to patch this, then I'll just remove option entirely.
I hope someone is able to fix this, before IK removes the whole functionality :o
Please... Woods looks so barren without this. Removing shadows was not a good idea, it started with implementation of DOF, which is one of the most toxic effects invented, alongside with blur :X and shadows were removed because DOF did not work properly with them. That was unfortunate. Yes, they are not perfect, but do work nicely and add to the atmosphere and depth of a game.

Fingers crossed, because this would be really sad...

Desktop Screenshot 2018.12.08 - 08.56.07.09.jpg
Desktop Screenshot 2018.12.08 - 08.56.07.09.jpg (379.41 KiB) Viewed 479 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Maybe the creator of that commit Andrew-raphael-lukasik could look at that, as he knows what he actually scripted there, so it would be easier for him to detect the issue?