On the topic of replacing doors and wall flats with 3D models

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
duendeinexistente

On the topic of replacing doors and wall flats with 3D models

Post by duendeinexistente »

Okay Not all wall flats because that's be a performance nightmare and normal maps would work fine for an overwhelming mayority of them.
But yeah this is a topic I keep coming back to, It could work to make stuff like dynamic colored lighting less jarring, and I find a lot of available stuff too high poly. I want the same textures with some extra volume to them.
I modeled a door to check how it fit the artstyle, with some texture mapping involved, and I believe it does so quite well. If we're being technical this is a continuation of an older effort from 2019 that I abandoned for a variety of reasons.

As well as my older 2019 efforts.

However, one blockers is rather simple: I'm willing to model and texture map (Though I'd probably chip away at it sporadically) but can't be assed to deal with learning unity and dislike dfmods for a couple reasons. Without putting them ingame I can't know the technical aspects I should keep in mind, which could easily mean having to do a lot of menial work later on if I have a dozen models done before finding out.

Which is to say, if someone else wants to add the models ingame (They're freely available to anyone who wants to poke at it; this is about an hour's work anyhow) I'd be quite happy about the collaboration. Alternately, if I had a mod that let me drop models at an overwrite folder to replace flats and objects with them. I've heard that it's possible but annoying, so such a mod might be just streamlining the process.

Of note to anyone who makes normal maps for this: Vanilla resolution doesn't work. I understand the wish to keep it purist, but it's a thing with pixel art and normals in general, pixels indicate sub-pixel information (Metal Slug in particular used this for incredible effect) that just one pixel of normal mapping will heavily conflict with. 2x resolution does the trick.

Ninelan

Re: On the topic of replacing doors and wall flats with 3D models

Post by Ninelan »

Oh dear... You should unthink trying to revamp flooring and walls into 3D models. There is no easy pipeline to do that as you'd have to recreate every single interrior and dungeon with the textures you want to replace with voluminous models. And there are so many such elements, it's just too many, even if you pick out only one texture to do it on.
You should focus more on creating normal maps for them as those will apply to all instances of that texture.
There are plenty of mods in DFU that already deal with normal mapping their materials, namely DREAM and vanilla normal mapped...

For normal maps, you should consider learning to work with unity, it's not that hard. And replacing models is not that difficult either and is something you can easily do on your own. I can walk you through that process but you'd have to be willing to work with unity in the first place.
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Besides, the 3d illusion can be easily made by Height maps on top of normal maps
But the doors look cool. That would be a relatively easy swap I guess

duendeinexistente

Post by duendeinexistente »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:31 am Besides, the 3d illusion can be easily made by Height maps on top of normal maps
But the doors look cool. That would be a relatively easy swap I guess
Do height maps have a proper teselation/displacement or similar effect? I didn't know daggerfall had it and would've thought to be just bump mapping.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

No tessellation or anything fancy advanced, but it works, if you add a properly made textures. Some examples, just digging thru old screenshots. Someone more skilled or with more time, could make it pop more. I used "Bitmap 2 Material" SW to generate those.

Its usually standard texture, normal map, height map. Stones usually use "roughness" map for the reflections. You can also add Oclussion map for added depth. When u combine all of those, you can get quite a nice 3d effect, which is accented when a proper SSAO method is selected in the game options.

Ofc its still just a illusion of 3d..
Spoiler!
Interior (39).jpg
Interior (39).jpg (508.87 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
Dung (3).jpg
Dung (3).jpg (611.18 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
Dung (26).jpg
Dung (26).jpg (506.1 KiB) Viewed 1512 times