[0.14.5] NPCs in buildings randomly disappear

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
MrFlibble

[0.14.5] NPCs in buildings randomly disappear

Post by MrFlibble »

Recently I downloaded DFU version 0.14.5 for Windows and started a new playthrough, and I've been noticing that sometimes when I enter a building during its working hours, I will not find some of the NPCs that should be there. This happened at least twice with the Mages Guild (once was in Sentinel, the other time I don't remember where, but the building type was the same IIRC), where I would not find the quest giver, as well as some of the other service providers, like the spell merchant and spell maker, while some of the others would be still in place and working correctly. Also at least once, the innkeep and some patrons would be missing from a tavern, and I actually got the impression that time that another tavern of the same type in the same city (again, Sentinel) was affected as I was looking for a place to rest.

I paid little attention to this, but yesterday I completed the Scourg Barrow quest for Princess Morgiah, and when I came back to Castle Wayrest, I discovered that both she and the royal couple were missing from the palace, whereas all other courtiers were in place. I rented a room in a tavern and waited for the next day, assuming that perhaps some rare mechanic was in place; this did not affect the issue at all. I travelled to a nearby town and then back to Wayrest in hopes of resetting the castle NPCs, but this did not work either. I exited the game to look up the forums here, but was not able to find info on this specific issue. Yet, when I restarted the game and loaded the latest save (attaching it here just in case) everything seemed to work fine and the royal family was back in the palace. Unfortunately I did not realise that they were not missing permanently and it did not occur to me to take screenshots and/or save the game while facing the empty throne room.

I'm playing with a bunch of (mostly) cosmetic mods (I'll give a list below) and I guess that one explanation would be that one of them is possibly causing this issue. However, I've not been able to reliably recreate this problem, making it hard to go through the mods turning them off one by one to determine the cause. It has occurred to me today that apparently, I've only observed missing NPCs in buildings where I was given a quest which was still pending, but I am not completely sure on that.

The mods I've got installed are (all the latest versions as of 26 Feb 2023):
Spoiler!
Actions Framework
Aquatic Sprites
Archaeologists' Guild
Arena's Adventures
Arena-Style Flavor Text
Background Question and History Fixes
Basic Roads
Better Default Classes
Better Quality Descriptions
Better Ambience
Daggerfall Expanded Textures
Detailed City Walls
DFU Quest Pack 1
Diverse Weapons
Enemy Expansion
Famous Faces of the Iliac Bay
Finding My Religion
Fixed Paperdoll Skin
Forgotten Quest Pack
Interesting Eroded Terrain
Lively Cities
Random Little Quests
Red Brick Replacer
Taverns Redone
Town Greetings of the Iliac Bay
Travel Options
UBlaMF
Unique Armor
Vanilla Enhanced
Vibrant Terrain Flats
Wilderness Overhaul
World of Daggerfall
Attachments
SAVE17.zip
(514.49 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

pango

Re: [0.14.5] NPCs in buildings randomly disappear

Post by pango »

Most likely Vanilla Enhanced - Animated People mod
viewtopic.php?t=5977
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

carademono

Re: [0.14.5] NPCs in buildings randomly disappear

Post by carademono »

This is hopefully fixed in the new release. Please let me know if you still encounter this!