[FIX] "Purist" Vanilla Paperdoll & Inventory Fix

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
MrFlibble

[FIX] "Purist" Vanilla Paperdoll & Inventory Fix

Post by MrFlibble »

Update from 2023/08/21: The fix is now available at NexusMods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfall/mods/20/

tl;dr (scroll down for a much more detailed description)

What is this? This is a patch that fixes some very annoying errors with how some clothes, armour and inventory items are displayed in unmodded (vanilla) DOS Daggerfall and in DFU (if used with the Steam version of DF, for example).

What does it do? Here's some examples of what gets fixed:
dagfix-new-8.png
dagfix-new-8.png (22.2 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
dagfix-new-14.png
dagfix-new-14.png (32.45 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
Where do I get it? Scroll down to the bottom of this post or go here.

Detailed mod description

This is a complete revision/overhaul of my previous paperdoll and inventory fixes, aimed at staying as accurate as possible to the source material and minimizing edits to Bethesda art, unless absolutely necessary.

While the original release had attempted to fix all the various errors with paperdoll clothes, armour and inventory items, I had overlooked some things, and in some cases had taken a little too many liberties with the source material, which I tried to rectify this time.

With this release, the main objective is to fix the most obvious errors, like distorted colours on armour or missing parts of cloaks. Unlike previous releases, I also took care to make sure that in Childguard mode, which is the default in Daggerfall Unity, human male and female clothes always cover the underwear, i.e. no blue pixels are visible because of sloppily drawn hand shapes on Bethesda's part.

For those unfamiliar with the previous fixes, or with vanilla Daggerfall, here's a brief description of what the fix does (please see the readme file for a detailed description of what was modified in each file): in short, Bethesda left a lot of small errors in sprites for player character paperdoll clothes and armour. There's a total of eight sets of clothes, covering male and female versions of Argonian, Elf, Human and Khajiit, with about 100 different sprites for clothes (some representing different states of the same item, e.g. a cloak or a shirt worn in different ways), and eight sets of armour/shields. Each of these had at least one small error that needed to be corrected.

Looking at Daggerfall's development, it appears that originally all races were intended to have the same body shape for each sex, like in Arena (Arena also uses the paperdoll system, but you can't change your character's clothes, only armour and equipment). However, as development progressed, each race got an almost unique body shape for either sex. The original clothes were then adjusted by Bethesda artists to match these new shapes, with varying success. Also, certain errors were introduced during editing that affected palette swapping.

The very noticeable errors that I've addressed first and foremost are as follows:
  • many human female armour pieces have areas that never palswap and remain very dark, regardless of the material; this error affected all types of greaves, some gauntlets and boots, and also Argonian female chain/plate boots as well
  • female Elves used clothes and armour similar to that of Argonians, which does not match their body shape (which is identical to human female bodies)
  • male Elves also used clothes similar to those of male Argonians, although this was less noticeable than with females
  • female Argonians and Khajiit had parts of their cloaks missing
  • male Argonians also had unintended "holes" in the back of their cloaks
  • all cloaks with capes, and some other items have a similar error: the darkest colour remains the same regardless of the cloak's colour
  • non-palswapping colours were used on some clothes items, resulting in areas of out-of-place bluish pixels regardless of the actual colour of an item
  • some clothes erroneously used a special type of transparent pixel that shows the background image of the paperdoll; this was intended to only be used on cloak cape and helm "masks" to conceal a character's hair when a cape or helm is worn, but ended up in many unexpected places
There are many other small but numerous errors I won't mention here.

There is one thing I need to note: while both male and female Argonians and Khajiit have a uniform hand shape (the "hole" through which the paperdoll's hand/arm is visible) on all clothes and armour items, this is not the case with human/elf male and female sets. In previous releases, I attempted to figure out the optimal hand shape for these characters too, but this time I decided to only make edits when it is absolutely necessary, e.g. when the Childguard mode underwear is partially visible because of the imperfect hand shape (one of the screenshots below shows an example).

Download:
df-dos-paperdoll-fix-12.zip
version 1.2
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 95 times
Alternate download link: df-dos-paperdoll-fix-12.zip

Here are some more screenshot comparisons (left is vanilla Daggerfall, right is the current fix):
Last edited by MrFlibble on Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:43 pm, edited 12 times in total.

King of Worms

Re: [MOD] Vanilla Paperdoll & Inventory Fixes 2.0

Post by King of Worms »

Good job on that, I think I used your old version in the past :) You should release it on Nexus as well. Also, making a GIF from the image comparison would help some blind ppl.. I used this page to do that, very simple https://ezgif.com/maker

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

I can't believe that I missed the issue with female helmet masks eating into the back part of the casual cloak.

This is now fixed.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

After our recent conversation in the support topic, I'm going to repackage recommended DaggerfallGameFiles soon with credits for community fixes applied to gamedata. I didn't recall those files had your 2014 fixes applied, thank you for pointing this out along with your bug report.

Would you like me to instead bundle your updated version here? Alternatively, I can just link to it and leave it up to the player to install. DFU will work fine even with vanilla files, but your paperdoll fix definitely improves the experience.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:09 am Would you like me to instead bundle your updated version here?
Yes, please update the fix. As I mentioned above, I took a little too many liberties in the previous version (like editing perfectly legit parts of the Round shield), and simply using vanilla clothes leaves too many errors, like the ones a user complained about here, or basically everything that I listed above (palswapping errors on human female armour being the worst offender IMO).

Please note that DFU does not need any fixes for TEXTURE.202, TEXTURE.204, TEXTURE.207 and TEXTURE.211, as it corrects the excessive palswapping of vanilla DFU on these sprites. You can just leave original Bethesda files for these. Also, I'm attaching the artifacts files (TEXTURE.432 and TEXTURE.433) that only fix wrong hands for the Ebony Blade while not altering any of the colours on any artifacts -- please use this one if DFU no longer palswaps artifact sprites.
Attachments
ebony_blade_fix.zip
(41.66 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Awesome, thanks so much. :) I'll repackage in the next few weeks. I'll be sure to include your readme with new package so anyone who looks can find it.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

I nearly forgot, here's TEXURE.235 and TEXTURE.238 (Argonian and Khajit female clothes) with the original colours on the Khajit suit. For the vanilla fix, I replaced the palswap metal colours on the suit with a different shade of metal gray, but since DFU does not palswap this anyway, you could just as well use this version.

Updated on 2023/07/23: File removed as this is incorporated into the new version of the fix.

MrFlibble

Re: [FIX] "Purist" Vanilla Paperdoll & Inventory Fix

Post by MrFlibble »

I was not entirely happy with the updated fix, so I essentially recreated it from scratch, trying to stay as close to the source material as possible while correcting errors. The new version is attached to the first post.

I learned not to focus on the absence of a uniform hand shape for human male and female characters (I mean the "hole" on garments or armour through which the paperdoll hand and arm is visible). In previous versions of the fix, I attempted to create an optimal shape and use it with all items, but was never really happy with the result. This time I mostly left this alone, but made sure that in Childguard mode, which is the default in DFU, human clothes always cover the underpants that are part of the paperdoll. Here's an example (left is vanilla and right is the fixed version):
ImageImage
Male Elf clothes got a complete overhaul, to give them the same look as of the male human clothes (where there are differences), but also taking into account the thinner waist line of the Elves, which is closer to that of male Khajiits. So I used both human male and Khajiit male clothes sets as a reference, because Bethesda basically gave elves Argonian clothes.
ImageImage

MrFlibble

Re: [FIX] "Purist" Vanilla Paperdoll & Inventory Fix

Post by MrFlibble »

I just pushed a small update, cleaning up a few minor issues, including fixed colours on greaves' belts for human characters:
ImageImage