Buying Spells

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
daggerfallplayer

Buying Spells

Post by daggerfallplayer »

I am having a little problem with Daggerfall Unity (0.14.5.) The problem is that I can not buy any spells. Any place I go/join, I can not buy spells. The option to buy is there in the menu, along with the talk option, I have already joined the mages' guild… But every time I select the option to ‘Buy Spells’, I can’t. What happens is the for maybe a second the Spell Book flashes on the screen and then disappears, and I am left staring at the same ‘person’ that I was trying to buy the spells from. I am able to make new spells with anyone who offers me the option to ‘Make a Spell’. That option to make a spell works correctly every time. So why can’t I buy any spells? I can even buy numerous spell books, without any problems. So why can’t I buy the spells? I went at the “problem” so far as to totally delete Daggerfall Unity and reinstall the game and the mods. But I still can not buy any spells. The spell books I buy have the basic spells, maybe 11 spells to start off with. Each of those spells works correctly. I just can not buy any new spells! I also ‘consoled cheated’ my mage up to level 30 to test out whether there was a problem with being a lower level mage. But, I still can not buy any spells anywhere!

Any ideas on where the problem is?

Thanks.

Interkarma

Re: Buying Spells

Post by Interkarma »

This will be caused by a mod or bad game data. To diagnose, setup a fresh copy of DFU using recommended DaggerfallGameFiles method without any mods.

After unzipping the game files and DFU to fresh separate folders, run DFU from new folder and press "restart" at top-left of launcher. Then browse wherever you unzipped the DaggerfallGameFiles data to ensure you've set those files for your gamedata.

If you still have troubles with spell purchasing, zip your player log and attach it to a reply here. Just be sure to trigger problem in game first before zipping up log to give us the best chance of seeing any errors.

daggerfallplayer

Ok, I have gone through each of the steps you listed. It is still giving me the same problem. I fast traveled to Daggerfall. Then went to the Mage's guild. Joined up with the guild and attempted to buy spells. The same thing happened here as has happened before. After clicking on the 'Buy Spells', it only shows the spells for maybe 1–2 seconds. Then I am left standing there looking at the character... Exactly like it has been doing for me. Remember here, I have not added any mods to this 'test' game.

Here is the players log, I think?
Player.zip
(15.98 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Any ideas?

Thanks.

pango

Post by pango »

Saw nothing unusual in the log...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

Did you disable all mods?

daggerfallplayer

Yes. There are not any mods found/listed in the game when I click on the 'Mods' option on the start page. Also, there was a message initially there that said something to the effect 'Mod settings have been found-use them or delete them'. I deleted them before continuing in to the game.

While I am thinking about it. I found something else I think is a little strange here? While there are not any mods listed under the Mods Found section, on the left. If I look over on the right side, there are no listed mods or priorities or anything else except for one item. The screen is showing as it is 'enabled'. There are no mods there, so what is being 'Enabled'? If I 'un-enable' the setting and then Save and Close, then go back in to this mods screen again, it will show the exact same thing. Why? There are no mods there, so what is being enabled each time I click on it?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Looking at your log, you have not setup the game based on my earlier instructions. This is your game path:

Code: Select all

E:/Daggerfall 0.13.5 test/dfu_windows_64bit-v0.14.5-beta/DaggerfallUnity_Data/Managed
Things look to be combined a bit oddly there. It would be great if you could setup the game cleanly for testing to make sure we're all on the same page. Steps below:
  1. Delete your existing DFU and game data folders. Don't worry about saves, these are stored elsewhere.
  2. Delete settings.ini.
  3. Download DaggerfallGameFiles and unzip to C:\Games\Daggerfall.
  4. Download Daggerfall Unity 0.14.5 and unzip to C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity\0.14.5.
  5. Run DFU and when prompted for game data path, browse to C:\Games\Daggerfall.
Note that DaggerfallGameFiles and Daggerfall Unity are extracted to separate paths. When updating DFU, never unzip over the top of old versions or inside and older version. Extract new release to a fresh new folder, like C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity\0.15.1 (whatever new version is).

Please don't add any mods until you've confirmed the game is working.

If you still have issues, please attach screenshots of your setup folders including paths so that we can see everything is extracted as described above.

It also couldn't hurt to attached a zip of your save (how to locate) so we can check for problems that might have made it into your save data.

Good luck! :)

daggerfallplayer

Just a quick note here and a LOUD THANK YOU!!! It seems that your steps (when followed correctly ;)) do work. I was able to get the game running-went to Daggerfall-joined the Mages Guild-and bought a spell! The spell was then even put in my spell book for me to use!

Now I just have to add back all the other mods I had before (approx. 100).

Anyhow,
Again, a big Thank You for your help.

Later

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Happy that helped! Thanks for getting back. :)