Stranger in my own house?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Franchiver

Stranger in my own house?

Post by Franchiver »

Greetings,

Apologies if my question seems noob-ish, uninformed or already answered in another part of this forum.

After so many years of trying to complete Daggerfall, I finally bought my first house - a nice little shack in the northern district of Bubissidata, Sentinel, near the Dark Brotherhood's local building. Then, I was shocked to learn that:
- it was already inhabitated (the co-host seems quite a nice fellow, though),
- and above all, using the one container in the house caused the city guards to come for me!

Please, could you:
- confirm if this is a standard behaviour in the game,
- explain what could possibly justify it,
- give me some advice on the best way to store my belongings in what's supposed to be a safe place?
Last edited by Franchiver on Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Re: Stranger in my own house?

Post by Interkarma »

It's definitely not default behaviour, this will be caused by a mod. I recall someone having this problem a while back but can't remember which mod was behind it.

The standard advice is to disable all mods and re-enable one at a time until you isolate the problem. This support forum is for the base game without mods. Mod issues should be raised with mod author.

If you do still have issues with all mods disabled, please attach a save (how to locate) so we can investigate.

Good luck! :)

Franchiver

Post by Franchiver »

Sadly, disabling all my mods does not fix the aberration. However, as Interkarma assumes, I suspect some mod has something to do with it.

Actually, my original post contains an error (sorry for that :oops: ): my house in Bubissidata was not the first one I bought, but the second one. The same character bought his first house in Ripmore, Daggerfall, through the Bank of Daggerfall - then resold it (through the same Bank) to buy the Bubissidata house through the Bank of Sentinel.

Now here's the weirdness, as you can see inside the attached save. The SaveData.txt file still mentions my former Ripmore house, but not my Bubissidata house. However, the mod-created file "mod_iliac bay real estate.txt" mentions my Bubissidata house (and not the other one). I wonder if there's some conflict at work here...

I wanted to return to Ripmore and check if my former house was, by chance, still available. Unfortunately, the maps of the cities of Ripmore and Bubissidata don't help, since only my Bubissidata house is marked. I wish I could use the given coordinates to locate the first house...

Hope those bits of info can help!
Attachments
SAVE3.zip
Save in Bubissidata, Sentinel
(428.13 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for reply and attaching a save. :)

If the real estate mod was active at time you purchased house, then error has been introduced to save data and simply disabling mod won't undo that. The house marked on your map is technically not owned by you (bankDeed data missing), which is why it has an NPC inside and you can't use the containers.

The best I can suggest is to disable mod and purchase a new house in the same city. I loaded up your save in an unmodded game then used the "add gold" console command to refund character for broken house, then purchased a new house (the houses offered are random). This was marked on map and I was able to use home normally for rest and storing items in containers.

Unfortunately the old house will remain marked on map. The only way to clear this is to remove the entry from DiscoveryData.txt in save. It's the one with key 197381. You'll need to remove the whole block of text below, including the enclosing "{" at start and and "}," at end. Make a backup save, just in case!

Code: Select all

{
    "Key": 197381,
    "Value": {
        "buildingKey": 197381,
        "displayName": "Susumu Kumagai's house",
        "oldDisplayName": "Residence",
        "isOverrideName": true,
        "factionID": 0,
        "quality": 7,
        "buildingType": "House2",
        "lastLockpickAttempt": 0,
        "customUserDisplayName": null
    }
},

Franchiver

Post by Franchiver »

Thank you for your suggestion! I ended up following a slightly alternative path, for the sake of checking the possibility of righting the wrongs without using any cheat, er, console command :mrgreen: This eventually proved successful and informative:
  • Started the fully-modded game, loaded the aforementioned save (A.K.A. SAVE3). Resold the Bubissidata house. Maybe due to the mod's "speculation rules", the gold added to my bank account through that sale was insanely superior to the price of the house - nice! Saved to a different slot (SAVE0), then exited the game.
  • Checked the "mod_iliac bay real estate.txt" file in SAVE0 - as expected, it didn't contain any more owned houses. Deleted that file.
  • Started the game, disabled the "Iliac Bay Real Estate" mod, loaded SAVE0. Interestingly, my former house in Bubissidata was no longer marked in the map (likely an effect of the mod when I sold it). Bought a new house in Bubissidata. No more anomalies in it! Home sweet home! Saved to yet another slot (SAVE1).
  • Interestingly, the BankDeeds block in the SAVE1 SaveData.txt file (attached here) contains both my former Ripmore and my current Bubissidata house. Is it an expected behaviour?
Thank you again for your guidance about that case! Now, to report some bug to the "Iliac Bay Real Estate" dev team...
Attachments
SAVE1.zip
To my new home
(401.96 KiB) Downloaded 31 times