Strange guest in the Warwych Thieves Guild

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Franchiver

Strange guest in the Warwych Thieves Guild

Post by Franchiver »

Appologies if the following story doesn't belong in this forum.

I recently visited the Thieves Guild in Warwych, Isle of Balfiera. To my surprise, the building was not the usual pig-farm cover, but an even less noticeable one. Then, while meeting everyone inside to identify the guild key people, I stumbled upon a so-called member of the Mages Guild who apparently sold magical items - yet claimed I wasn't of a sufficient rank to afford myself her services! A disturbing statement since, as an Enchanter, I could buy any magical items sold in any Mages Guild building!

Did anyone else experienced this while playing Daggerfall "Vanilla"? Can anyone confirm if the lady's behaviour is legit?

Interkarma

Re: Strange guest in the Warwych Thieves Guild

Post by Interkarma »

DFU reads whole world layout from DOS gamedata. Every town, dungeon, building, and NPC is placed exactly as that gamedata describes.

If you encounter a building with the incorrect type (e.g. the residence in Gothway Garden that should be a tavern), or an NPC with incorrect affiliations or service flags, this is all the result of gamedata. It's always "legit" insofar as DFU is just using the same world data as DOS.

The gamedata in Daggerfall is unfortunately full of small errors. The mod Unofficial Block Location and Model Fixes (UBLaMF) patches a lot of these problems at runtime through our world data override system. It's not ideal to fix in DFU itself. I only intervene and hardcode a fix when bad gamedata causes serious problems like crashing or getting the player stuck.

Franchiver

Re: Strange guest in the Warwych Thieves Guild

Post by Franchiver »

Thank you. Then I'll report this to the UBLaMF dev team.