retro-ish SDF font possible?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
agris

retro-ish SDF font possible?

Post by agris »

Hi All-

Been a few years since I gave DFU a spin, and with the recent release I'm thinking about my experience with it circa 2021. I enjoyed DFU at a moderate widescreen resolution (1280x800 on a 2560x1600 screen). That kept the game looking pretty chunky without going full retro mode 320 or 640.

One thing that's bothered me since the release of the SDF fonts is the how incongruent they look with some of the other fonts, I'll call them button/UI fonts.

A good example of that is below:

Is it possible to make the SDF fonts look chunky like the other fonts, without playing in a very low resolution?

Thanks!

edit: I'm aware of retro mode and viewtopic.php?p=20213&hilit=fonts#p20213, but it's not really what I'm looking for. I'd like the force the SDF fonts to look like the other fonts, while playing at a somewhat modern resolution.

Interkarma

Re: retro-ish SDF font possible?

Post by Interkarma »

Check out the "Replacing Fonts" part in this article. You can drop a TTF or OTF font into StreamingAssets/Fonts to replace the default fonts used in game. Have a play with some different fonts until you find something you like. If you find something you prefer, please report back which font you chose. It could help others finding this topic in future.

When it comes to localization, a translation mod might deliver it's own font for aesthetic reasons, or usually just to support the characters required. In the screenshot above, the translation mod is using the default SDF font Kingthings Petrock.

agris

Re: retro-ish SDF font possible?

Post by agris »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:43 pm Check out the "Replacing Fonts" part in this article. You can drop a TTF or OTF font into StreamingAssets/Fonts to replace the default fonts used in game. Have a play with some different fonts until you find something you like. If you find something you prefer, please report back which font you chose. It could help others finding this topic in future.

When it comes to localization, a translation mod might deliver it's own font for aesthetic reasons, or usually just to support the characters required. In the screenshot above, the translation mod is using the default SDF font Kingthings Petrock.
Thanks for the reply. Someone brighter than myself pointed out that I can simply disable SDF fonts from the configuration menu and that will give me chunky DF-style fonts where the SDF are now. I'll play with that and trying different fonts.