Steam Installation Issue

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
TheSkyPiece

Steam Installation Issue

Post by TheSkyPiece »

Hey, so I've followed the installation process and have run into an issue I haven't seen in the discussions here. when I reach the point where I open up unity and need to path it to my steam version of Daggerfall, I run into a problem. Under steams "common" folder, unity isn't finding the folder for Daggerfall. in fact, it isn't finding any folders whatsoever. for reference, this is where I'm attempting to path it:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Elder Scrolls Daggerfall\DF\DAGGER

However, unity pathing stops here and there are no files available:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

Also for reference, this is where my Unity files are, though I'm not really certain if this would affect anything:
C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity\0.14.5

Does anyone possibly know what's going wrong? I'm not all that great with computer files or programming or whatever, and I cannot figure this out.

EDIT: I tried Installing 13.5, and when that kept the same result I tried 15.1. this version caught my securities attention, and it removed a bunch of files. I decided to scrap 15.1 all together and launched 14.5 again, and suddenly it could path correctly. No idea what happened or why, but problem solved I guess? would still love feedback if anyone knows what is going on, for future reference.

Interkarma

Re: Steam Installation Issue

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there. :) It's difficult to guess why you couldn't traverse that path. If it definitely exists, and can be seen by a previous version of DFU, there should be no problem doing the same in 0.15. I just tried this with my Steam install and 0.15, and was able to path down to that folder without problems.

It's possible your local security was blocking things because it's a new release. Unfortunately a new download from GitHub doesn't come with the same implicit trust a Steam or GOG install has. You'll have to tell your security to trust DFU. Sadly, I can't do anything about this right now while distributing via GitHub.

TheSkyPiece

Re: Steam Installation Issue

Post by TheSkyPiece »

Thanks for the reply! I'll be sure to handshake the security before any future installations.