Flickering Hedges

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Friendch

Flickering Hedges

Post by Friendch »

Hi there.

Just a little up to say I often encounter the flickering hedge.
Did not make vanilla testes to be sure it’s not mod related though.

pango

Re: Flickering Hedges

Post by pango »

Friendch wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:55 pm Just a little up to say I often encounter the flickering hedge.
Did not make vanilla testes to be sure it’s not mod related though.
Hi, that's z-fighting, so that's actually not a texture issue, but a 3d model issue (2 surfaces at the same position or very close).
Try installing the UBLaMF mod.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'll split this to it's own topic.

Pango has the right of it. This is caused by overlapping hedge models in gamedata. It's present in classic also, we just inherit the issue by using same gamedata.

I think UBLaMF linked above fixes all known cases of these using DFU's world data override system.

Friendch

Post by Friendch »

I see ! My bad, thanks for clarification.
Google brought me here searching about flickering hedges ^^
Well, I have UBLaMF tho ; does it mean that the mod isn’t properly functioning for me ?

Thanks for your answers !

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I thought UMBLaMF resolved these hedges, but I could be wrong. I'm not the author of this mod after all. :)

Check the UBMLaMF readme here to see if the location you have in mind has received fixes. There are also instructions on that page for reporting problems with gamedata to UBMLaMF's creator XJDHDR.

If XJDHDR is reading, they might be able to help. But they might not be reading here as this part of the forums is technically for base DFU without mods.

Friendch

Post by Friendch »

Yes I looked more in details the mod after your first answer, I didn’t see direct mention of hedges, but I too think it’s making sense. I’ll do what I should have done beforehand : Some testings, see if mod related or not, if yes, which one… Try to pinpoint the flickering, and then I’ll advise !

Again, thanks for your time and answers.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The flickering hedges are definitely not caused by a mod. It's a problem with Daggerfall's gamedata. You'll see the same thing in classic. DFU just inherits the problem because it uses the same data as classic to build the world.

Friendch

Post by Friendch »

But could UBMLaMF fix that, and being overtaken by another mod, unfixing the fix ? ^^
Informative indeed, yes I see, DFu takes the genetic defects of its father ! lol

I thought of mods because I only see the flickering since I have a decent modlist, but it’s true that I did not get to those exact same places beforehand, and since it's only very very few hedges… If at least it was more hedges, or better, all of them, I could roleplay it being the wind ! ^^

pango

Post by pango »

Friendch wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:48 pm DFu takes the genetic defects of its father !
Not necessarily, being a rewrite from scratch. But since it uses a lot of original game assets, some issues can get across that way.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I think the problem with hedges is that in order to fix it, you need to fix it in ALL blocks where its used. So there is no easy way to do that, contrary, it would be quite hard. Same as fixing that messed up building at the cemeteries, with textures going sideways and being plain wrong.