DREAM mods and performance

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Uncle Sheo

DREAM mods and performance

Post by Uncle Sheo »

Hello

When creating my modlist, general performance is of course relevant to take into account. So my question is which parts of the DREAM mod package are the most/least performance intensive? Currently I'm using just the textures and I'm not taking too much of a performance hit there. I was wondering which other parts would be "safe to add" without taking too much of a performance hit.

cheers and a good weekend to all. :geek:
The game is a foot. Or a leg. Or all manners of severed limbs!

King of Worms

Re: DREAM mods and performance

Post by King of Worms »

Uncle Sheo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:21 pm Hello

When creating my modlist, general performance is of course relevant to take into account. So my question is which parts of the DREAM mod package are the most/least performance intensive? Currently I'm using just the textures and I'm not taking too much of a performance hit there. I was wondering which other parts would be "safe to add" without taking too much of a performance hit.

cheers and a good weekend to all. :geek:
If u can run textures, u can run everything :)
Sound, music, cinematics - basically no perf hit
MOBs - possibly some VRAM hit
rest is avarage

Id say, enable all and see how it runs, most likely it will run without any problem whatsoever.

Whats your HW? I made this mod on gtx970 and FX8300 CPU, so the mod is very optimized.

Uncle Sheo

Post by Uncle Sheo »

King of Worms wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:48 pm
If u can run textures, u can run everything :)
Sound, music, cinematics - basically no perf hit
MOBs - possibly some VRAM hit
rest is avarage

Id say, enable all and see how it runs, most likely it will run without any problem whatsoever.

Whats your HW? I made this mod on gtx970 and FX8300 CPU, so the mod is very optimized.
OK, I see. The reason why I was asking is because on my previous load order, disabling the DREAM mods increased performance specifically. My current load appears to be more stable though as I have been building it from scratch, so I'll enable the mods one by one and test.

The computer shouldn't be a problem. the GPU is an RTX 3070 and the CPU is AMD Ryzen 5 7600X. I used to own a gtx970 btw, I still hang on to the box, too much great memories from an awesome card.

What I'm mostly looking for this time is to limit load times, make sure I can use Travel Options without too much stuttering and of course hope the game doesn't crash too often. I have been cutting out some fancy stuff like the 3D mods. Just good old 2D sprites seems to be the way to go for stability. I've been tweaking a bit in the settings, limit draw distance to 1 (because honestly that seems to be far enough), The option to not cast shadows outdoors also seems to help a lot. Interiors are never an issue for me so there I can max most of the settings without any issues. Outdoor framerate and reasonable load times are curently most important for me.

In any case, thanks for your advice, KOW.

Uncle Sheo

Post by Uncle Sheo »

Hello King of Worms

I enabled all the mods and it seems to working except for the MOBs. The enemies still retain their old sprites. Do I need to start a new save for it to take effect or is there something else I can do?
2023_05_05_22_40_29.jpg
2023_05_05_22_40_29.jpg (62.41 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
EDIT: So I downloaded the enemy expansion dream patch and now it's working! Sorry to have bothered you with this.
2023_05_05_23_03_42.jpg
2023_05_05_23_03_42.jpg (88.14 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
cheers

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

No worries, glad u solved it :)
Limiting the draw distance is the biggest load-time boost you can get of all the settings IMO. I personally set it to 2.
I dont use the 3d Tree models as well, as it increases the load times..