No Gold Trim Gauntlets Variant

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
thenameisthegame

No Gold Trim Gauntlets Variant

Post by thenameisthegame »

It's been on my mind for years, ever since I played DF in DOS and found my first full set of Daedric Armor and... everything but my gauntlets had no gold pieces to them. So I searched and searched, unaware that gauntlets without gold on them were not a thing.

Every other piece of armor has a variant without gold.

I'm changing this by adding a pair that will have 1:1 fidelity to the original plate armor gauntlets assets while having a true-to-the-non-gold-version pieces of armor look.

I'm hoping others will enjoy the addition of course, but I'm going to be honest: I'm doing this for myself first... and if I can do this right, I'll try to improve it for others as well! (Thinking of compatibility versions for other mods if others ask for it/mod authors allow it).

I've made a custom palette for each material using existing colors for gold and said material 'area where gold sould be' using boots to fetch the colors.

Later, as I was numering each pixel of gold with the counterpart to replace (it was a bit of a lenghtly process but I feel I'll save time down the line), I noticed I had 2 missing 'gold' colors, one between 2 and 3 and one between 4 and 5. They are so subtle I've taken some liberties as to make the changes with the color I saw fit for those 2 pixels. Other than those two, there's another one I changed in the far right from a 2 to a 1.

You can be the judge of my first attempt here!

I haven't figured out how to do a .dfmod... or how to add more armor yet, but I'm thankful for the support of Kab the Bird Ranger and Magicono43 as well as the inspiration of Barbariank and JadetheRipper for finally making me feel like I should - and can - do this!

Update 2023-05-13: And they are done along with xml files! Now to get the part where they are all attached to a new added plate gauntlets item variant, and do the .dfmod thing~
Attachments
245_9-0_Iron.png
245_9-0_Iron.png (1.23 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
245_9-0_Iron_work.png
245_9-0_Iron_work.png (5.6 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
coded_golds.png
coded_golds.png (28.12 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
Last edited by thenameisthegame on Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thenameisthegame

Re: [WIP] No Gold Trim Gauntlets Variant

Post by thenameisthegame »

Technically an 'edit' to the original post, but somehow it wouldn't let me attach the finished product.

Sorry for the illegal necromancy along with resisting arrest!~ *runs away in the woods*

So those should be compatible with all races and genders available in vanilla. 80 in total! Really didn't think there would be so many.

I've not figured out how to add them as a mod yet anyway, but I am being rather busy with other side-project and DFU-related stuff so I don't know if I myself could even add those in as proper 'variants' in-game even if I'd want to. I won't stop anyone else from doing it though!

As such, I'm leaving this available as DFU or modders resource, should either the DFU team or modders scene deem those worthy of use. I only ask you credit yours truly should those be used!~
Attachments
No_Gold_trim_Gauntlets_Variant_textures.zip
(109.95 KiB) Downloaded 8 times