Generally, how do you reach side quest objectives in dungeons?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
BUTTFACEiodfuvg

Generally, how do you reach side quest objectives in dungeons?

Post by BUTTFACEiodfuvg »

My understanding is that inaccessible objectives are supposed to be very rare. Using the locator device (Archeologist mod) and Smaller Dungeons (DFU 0.14.5, enabled before starting sidequest), however, I still can't reach the objective about half of the time without console commands.

I am curious if anyone can share a list of motifs or specific examples for reaching the side quest objectives in dungeons. (Or is there a guide that talks through examples of these things?)

For example, I found one objective by noting a secret door in the wall on my map - it was a spot of wall that looked like a door on the map, even though it didn't look like a door in the game.

Another time, the objective was under a trap door. I believe there was a skull sprite between 2 water troughs elsewhere in the dungeon that was not just decoration and instead functioned as a switch. I think that opened the trap door.

An example of an objective I couldn't reach: a room & dead-end hallway, floating in space and not connected to the rest of the dungeon. I assume there was a teleporter to get there somewhere (?), but I don't know what it would look like, and when I cheated my way to the objective, I was stuck there. There was no exit or teleporter out of the area that I could find.

Jay_H

Re: Generally, how do you reach side quest objectives in dungeons?

Post by Jay_H »

I'll move this topic to General, since the Help and Support forum is more technical in nature :)

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

The only non-cheating method is to methodically explore dungeons. It's easy to get lost, but at some point I more or less got the hang of it. After a while, you'll also start recognizing typical dungeon blocks, and typical places where quest items will be found. Some blocks are easy and full of unique features, others are abysmal mazes where you'll likely get lost, even with the 3D map (although the DFU version of the map is more friendly that the vanilla one).

I've never tried smaller dungeons, but I think I'd suggest that you don't use this mod and go for the real deal straight ahead. Try getting a quest with plenty of time to complete, and wander around a dungeon to your heart's content. It takes a bit of practice. Also if you're a spellcaster, it's always useful to put a teleport anchor right near the exit, so you can always get back to the start and begin exploring anew.

BUTTFACEiodfuvg

Apologies for the wrong forum and thank you each!

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

BUTTFACEiodfuvg wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:00 pm An example of an objective I couldn't reach: a room & dead-end hallway, floating in space and not connected to the rest of the dungeon. I assume there was a teleporter to get there somewhere (?), but I don't know what it would look like, and when I cheated my way to the objective, I was stuck there. There was no exit or teleporter out of the area that I could find.
I'm guessing that's the dead end that opens up when you click on a torch nearby. The dungeon puzzles in this game are half-baked, to put it mildly.

I recommend the Penwick Papers mod and buying the Landmark Journal item in a general store. It's very helpful with dungeon navigation, especially if your character has no magic ability.

As for the smaller dungeons option, it's a matter of personal preference. I never play without it.

BUTTFACEiodfuvg

nicksta1310 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:37 pm I'm guessing that's the dead end that opens up when you click on a torch nearby.
Fascinating, thank you! I wish I'd kept a save for this specific incident so I could keep messing with it. I will be clicking on all of the torches in future dungeons!