[0.15.3] Not member == expelled

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
pango

[0.15.3] Not member == expelled

Post by pango »

Funny message seen in last Talonhatesnames stream, when we could not benefit from the trainer of a temple he didn't apply for, he was referred as "Expelled":
I'm sorry, Expelled.jpg
I'm sorry, Expelled.jpg (126.78 KiB) Viewed 808 times
Puzzled me for a moment, until I found it was supposed to be the rank in the guild (%pct), and that the macro helper for guilds uses "Expelled" for non-members

Code: Select all

public virtual string GetTitle()
        {
            return IsMember() ? RankTitles[rank] : "Expelled";
        }
I'm not sure what is classic behavior. In any case, both non-members and expelled characters have a rank of -1, so there's currently no way to distinguish one from the other.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Re: [0.15.3] Not member == expelled

Post by Interkarma »

Yeah, this is an odd outcome. Aren't training services normally reserved for members only? Maybe in this case, player is a member of a different temple and training services are being offered to someone who is technically a non-member, leading to that string outcome.

Edit: Confirmed a new character with no affiliations can request training at a temple and see this message.

I need to localize that "Expelled" text in any case (I'm actually working through guild ranks now). Worth taking a closer look at the root cause.

pango

Post by pango »

Classic behavior is to allow non-members training, at 4 times the members' price, even to members of another temple.
And behavior is to use character first name as fallback instead of rank for non-members (not sure about expelled members).
I'm sorry.jpg
I'm sorry.jpg (79.37 KiB) Viewed 775 times
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Excellent. So rank should fallback to player name when non-affiliated then. That works for me. :)

pango

Post by pango »

I updated previous message in place after more tests, sorry!
But it seems you understood what classic was doing already
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks Pango. :) Tested in classic before seeing your reply and happy that's the fallback for non-members. Implemented that now.

not-expelled.jpg
not-expelled.jpg (155.2 KiB) Viewed 761 times

I don't think a special "rank" is needed for expelled members. You just turn into a non-member after being expelled.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Would there ever be any case ingame where the game would use the rank Expelled in information presented to the player?

DFUs list of relationships would not include a guild you are no longer a member of. And I suspect in any kind of speech it would just look weird, like in the picture in the OP.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

No, there is no rank string for expelled members. You're just a non-member. This falls back to player name in classic, and has been fixed in DFU to work the same way.