[MOD] ArenaFall

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Sappho20

[MOD] ArenaFall

Post by Sappho20 »

ArenaFall
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/448/

Welcome to ArenaFall. This mod is an attempt to recreate the main quest of Arena in Daggerfall. This mod allows the player to attempt the main quest of Arena before going on to do Daggerfall’s main quest.
During development of Daggerfall it was thought that players would be able to port their characters from Arena into Daggerfall, but that never happened. Now you can get a taste of what that may have been like. Take a character through a version of Arena before taking on Daggerfall.
Arena can be a difficult game to get into with its unintuitive controls and game breaking bugs/glitches, even back in the 1990's. It’s sad as Arena is where it all began, and I think many people want the chance to experience it. The purpose of this mod is not to replace Arena but to offer a taste of the original Elder Scrolls game. I hope people who try this mod will be inspired to give the original game a try, despite its drawbacks. Download TES Arena.

Thanks to:
Thank you to kaboissonneault and Kamer for their wonderful Mod Daggerfall Enemy Expansion. This Mod brings many of the enemies from Arena into Daggerfall and really adds to that Arena feel.
Thanks also to Magicono43 for making Random Starting Dungeon, it really adds to the fun, not knowing where the game is going to start.
Thanks, to Bethesda for making Arena and the Elder Scrolls!

The Quests:
I have tried to keep the quests as original as possible, but there are a few necessary changes. For example, all the pieces of the staff of chaos are in the Iliac Bay and not across Tamriel. However, I have made the provinces you travel to in ArenaFall different from those used in the Daggerfall main quest. Therefore, if you do both main quests you will not visit the same places twice.
For this reason I recommend that you use Random Starting Dungeon MOD, as this will ensure that you are not in Privateers Hold twice. I've added it as a requirement, but it is not required.

Place Names:
Now the names of all the locations are necessarily different, therefore the original names of the places are mentioned, and the new names are in brackets. For example, go to Fang Lair (Lhir’kern’s Hold). This will allow you to know the original names and lets you also know the name of the place you are actually looking for. All locations, including the dungeons with the staff pieces, are random and may change from game to game, as will all the locations of people you need to visit and their names. No two play throughs will be the same.

The Magic MacGuffins.
In order for the story to work, Ria Silmane will give you common symbols (MacGuffins), these are used to trigger the next part of the story, when activated by the player. You must travel to the province indicated by Ria and then use this common symbol to trigger the next part of the adventure. If you use it in the wrong province, the story will just take place there instead, but the dialogue will assume you are in the right place. It will not break the game if done by accident.

The End.
Once you have completed Arena main quest you will be given one last MacGuffin. This one will start Daggerfall’s main quest when you are ready! Or you can throw it away and not bother with Daggerfall’s main quest. Either way it allows the player to choose when to move on.

Requirements.
You need the mods:
Daggerfall Enemy Expansion

And HIGHLY recommend:
Random Starting Dungeon (this is not required, but it means you will not be in Privateers Hold Twice! And
gives the feel of playing a different game)

Some Changes.
The puzzles and riddles from Arena are not in this mod. I’m not sure how much they add to the story and they seem to just slow down the action. I’ve made a couple of slight changes to some quests but resisted the desire to improve them too much beyond adding the odd missing person. Yes, Arena’s quests can be very repetitive. Maybe I will make a more diverse version in time.

The pieces of the staff of chaos are just random weapons in dungeons. The dungeons are random so they will be different each time. The location of each piece in the dungeon is also random, so it might be right at the entrance or buried deep inside, who knows. Also, the pieces of the staff will disappear from your inventory at the end of each quest. You found it, you know you have it, so there is no point in having them clog up your inventory. In fact, the staff of chaos does not appear in your inventory either.

I hope this mod inspires more people to give Arena a try as it is an excellent, if not frustrating, game. Download TES Arena.

Installing:
Copy quest files into the quests folder, you will have to overwrite the quest _BRISIEN.
Copy the movies into /DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/movies/ (you may need to create this folder).

Uninstall:
The mod gives you the option to bypass Arena on starting a new character. To uninstall, you can just rename quest file _BRISIEN2 into _BRISIEN, but all games using ArenaFall will not change, new characters will revert to the original main quest.