[Mod] Kleptomania

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Magicono43

[Mod] Kleptomania

Post by Magicono43 »

Kleptomania

Allows Many Previously Purely Decorative Object/Items To Be Interacted With Or Taken With Varying Outcomes.

Download

Do you suffer from the uncontrollable impulse to grab everything within reach that's not nailed down? Then you might have the condition known as, "Kleptomania" and you should seek help immediately via this number, 1-800-NOSTEAL, due to high demand, expect longer than anticipated wait times.

In the mean time, you may be able to more safely sate your unhealthy urge to steal, with the help of this mod! Those objects sitting in castles, dungeons, various buildings. Those bottles, books, paper, hand-tools, cups, clothing, food-items, and numerous other objects, just begging to be shoved into your backpack full of various other junk, no longer will they elude your prying grasps. See a bottle on a table? You can steal it. See a stack of books in a library? You can take those too. See a pile of dirty laundry in someone's house? You can leaf through their soiled cloths as well, ya weirdo.

WHAT THIS MOD DOES AND WHY:
  • Many dozens of objects that were once purely for decorative purposes in the game-world, can now be interacted with while in Steal, Grab, Info, and Talk mode. Steal mode will do the obvious, attempt to take the item and add it to your inventory. Info and Talk mode will give a very brief description of the item in question. Grab mode will pop-up an small interface to either pick between the same functions of steal and info mode.
  • All of the items that can be interacted with have atleast some small monetary value, if brought to the right merchant, such as a pawn-shop who will buy almost anything.
  • There is however a risk to having sticky fingers, turns out most people don't like having their stuff stolen, so be aware that depending on who you are stealing from, if you are detected there will be punishment dished out, in most cases the guards being called. Even in dungeons, you can attract unwanted attention from who or what lurks there. You can reduce your odds of being detected in the act of stealing by increasing your stealth and pickpocket skills, as well as having high agility and luck. In locations that having closing hours, you can greatly reduce the odds of being detected by stealing items while they are currently closed (and presumably sleeping.)
  • Some items can only be taken if the appropriate mod is installed that would give a function to those items. Such as taking food-items such as apples, oranges, bread, meat, fish. They will require other mods such as the survival mod, "Climates & Calories" to produce anything of use.
  • This mod does not change any existing interiors or dungeons. So it goes very well with other mods that do this, such as Taverns Redone, Finding My Religion, and the many other mods that flesh out and add more decorations to the existing vanilla build/dungeon designs.
  • And lots more features and mod compatibility planned for the future!
OPTIONS:
--- Toggle Interactables:
  • Potions/Poisons/Alcohol/Glass-Bottles: If Glass-Bottle Like Objects Should Be Interactable/Takeable
  • Paper/Parchment/Scrolls/Notes: If Paper/Parchment Like Objects Should Be Interactable/Takeable
  • Books/Skill-Books: If Book Like Objects Should Be Interactable/Takeable
  • Weapons: If Weapon & Ammunition Like Objects Should Be Interactable/Takeable
  • Armor: If Armor & Shield Like Objects Should Be Interactable/Takeable
  • Clothing: If Clothing Like Objects Should Be Interactable/Takeable
  • Bandages: If Bandage Like Objects Should Be Interactable/Takeable
  • Jewelry: If Jewelry, Gemstone, & Small Treasure Objects Should Be Interactable/Takeable
  • Religious Objects: If Small Religious Objects Should Be Interactable/Takeable
  • Valuable Decorations: If Objects Like Goblets/Cups, Candelabras, & Paintings Should Be Interactable/Takeable
  • Exotic Tools: If Objects Like Globes, Scales, Ink-wells & More Should Be Interactable/Takeable
  • Jugs/Jars/Pots: If Clay Pot Like Liquid Container Objects Should Be Interactable/Takeable
  • Labor Tools: If Objects Like Scoops, Hammers, Pickaxes, Shovels & More Should Be Interactable/Takeable
  • Food & Cooking: If Food Items & Cooking Objects, Such As For The Climates & Calories Mod Should Be Interactable/Takeable
Future Features & Ideas:
  • Custom audio/sound-clips for picking up items, such as the satisfying sound-effect for picking up potions in Oblivion, that sort of thing.
  • Have it so potions picked up in this way would initially be unidentified and potentially poisoned or some other effects. Kind of like in Arena when you found a potion on an enemy or in a loot-pile, they were "unknown" until you got them identified, or just used it without knowing the effect. Or like in classic rogue-likes where often potions would be unidentified, which when initially using them made it a risk, since the effect could be good, bad, neutral, etc.
  • So I'd eventually like picking up pieces of paper/parchment/scrolls to have different outcomes based on the context they were found in. So like say looking at random papers in somebody's house might give you some flavor text sort of thing like in Oblivion, where many houses you could find just random stuff if you were going through their personal documents, such as love-letters, advertisements for local businesses, shopping/grocery lists, etc. Just a whole bunch of various things you would expect to be written down by people. But I'd also like this to include maybe stuff like maps to hidden treasure, info you could use as a way to blackmail somebody for profit, a calendar with useful information, info you could use to intercept maybe some shipment or something planned for a future date. Basically make it a way to also find "quests" of sorts, I think something like this would be really cool overall, especially if the context of the location it is found in has an effect on the contents of the note/letter. Though I decided to push this back as a future feature, as I was finding it even more difficult than I initially expected, but hopefully I can get to something like this working eventually.
  • Compatibility/Support for mods such as "Hand Painted Models", I didn't do any testing with this mod, but I have a feeling atleast some things involving it changing many sprites to 3D models will potentially conflict with this mod. So hopefully when/if that happens I'll eventually make some compatibility code so it can play nice with this mod.
  • Compatibility/Support for mods such as "Daggerfall Expanded Textures", I know this mod will eventually be used pretty often to add more texture/sprites/decorations to the existing pool. So hopefully I'll make many of those items added compatible with this mod so they can be interacted with as well, where appropriate.
  • Compatibility/Support for mods such as "Decorator", I already have code so that items inside player owned houses and the two ships work differently, so alone this should not have compatibility problems, atleast in theory. But when used with mods like the "Air-ships" mod, I have a feeling weird stuff may occur in those cases, but I will still need to see from testing and what other players report. But either way, hopefully make compatibility fixes for these mods where necessary and possible.
  • Compatibility/Support for mods such as "Darker Dungeons", this mod does similar things to this one, but in its case for various lights in the game. Maybe eventually I'll make some compatibility code to have these work together in someway.

Feel free to leave any suggestions and such, I'm very open to anything, and hopefully you find this addition enjoyable or enhances your Daggerfall Unity experience in some way.

Github Source Code: Github

COMPATIBILITY:
This mod should be compatible with most mods currently out there, to my knowledge atleast. I've already built some direct compatibility for the mods: "Repair Tools", "Jewelry Additions", "Climates & Calories", "Realistic Wagon", "Skill Books", and "RoleplayRealism-Items".

Mods that may potentially have compatibility issues with this mod would be other mods that "RegisterCustomActivation" with any of the sprites/textures this mod currently uses. To my knowledge besides a few rare cases, this should not currently be an issue for nearly any of the mods out there atm.

Other potential mods that could potentially cause problems, "Hand Painted Models", and "Decorator" those are the main ones I can think of that MAY have some compatibility problems.

INSTALLATION:
Unzip and open the folder that matches your operating system (Windows/OSX/Linux)

Copy the "kleptomania.dfmod" into your DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Mods folder

Make sure the mod is enabled and "Mod system" is enabled in the starting menu under "Advanced -> Enhancements"

UNINSTALL:
Remove "kleptomania.dfmod" from the "StreamingAssets/Mods" folder.

Special Thanks:
The usual suspects I always thank for the help and support in the modding and DFU community in general!

Versions/Updates:
  • v1.00 - 7/29/2023 - Initial Release

Magicono43

Re: [Mod] Kleptomania

Post by Magicono43 »

Kleptomania_Main-Thumb1.png
Kleptomania_Main-Thumb1.png (923.68 KiB) Viewed 4016 times

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

2023_07_28_21_24_58.jpg
2023_07_28_21_24_58.jpg (124.4 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
2023_07_28_21_24_52.jpg
2023_07_28_21_24_52.jpg (122.8 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
2023_07_28_21_24_45.jpg
2023_07_28_21_24_45.jpg (122 KiB) Viewed 4016 times

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

2023_07_28_21_25_12.jpg
2023_07_28_21_25_12.jpg (117.73 KiB) Viewed 4015 times
2023_07_28_21_25_43.jpg
2023_07_28_21_25_43.jpg (119.43 KiB) Viewed 4015 times
2023_07_28_21_26_21.jpg
2023_07_28_21_26_21.jpg (153.67 KiB) Viewed 4015 times

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

2023_07_28_21_28_47.jpg
2023_07_28_21_28_47.jpg (126.38 KiB) Viewed 4015 times
2023_07_28_21_30_25.jpg
2023_07_28_21_30_25.jpg (156.95 KiB) Viewed 4015 times
2023_07_28_21_30_30.jpg
2023_07_28_21_30_30.jpg (154.89 KiB) Viewed 4015 times

Ivan Kuzyk

Post by Ivan Kuzyk »

Will there be any textures for the D.R.E.A.M. mod?

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Unless somebody does all the leg-work for me, I don't really have plans for it atm.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

I really love this! goes well with loot chests!