Jumping missed opportunity?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
pango

Jumping missed opportunity?

Post by pango »

I saw a stream by Dridlicious on Twitch, that got trapped down one of those pits with few rooms and 2 coffins, in the variant where neither coffin give you levitation on touch.
He had no mean to levitate and no recall, and he spent quite some time improving his jumping in the hope he could reach the bottom of the pit and climb up to the exit. Sadly even at 100 jumping, improvement in jumping height is way too small to make a difference.
Given the kind of games he likes, with emergent gameplay, he thought there was a missed opportunity here, to get out of that dire situation through perseverance.

I thought about it somewhat, jumping skill improves flight time and jumping distance significantly, but jumping height not so much. I don't think we want to "tweak" physics, but is it even realistic as it is now? when you jump say to cross a gap, isn't some of your impulse directed sideways, preventing you from jumping as high as you can when standing still? Or do I get the physics wrong here.
Anyway, I think it could be interesting experimenting with the possibility of jumping a bit higher when you're not running around...

(Related: movements tweaks in 2020)

Pit was in the Mordistyr Academy, Glenumbra Moors.
Attached is a save of mine at that location.
2023_08_16_15_34_37.jpg
2023_08_16_15_34_37.jpg (189.5 KiB) Viewed 2999 times
Attachments
SAVE64.zip
(356.46 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Magicono43

Re: Jumping missed opportunity?

Post by Magicono43 »

Funny enough this same thing happened to me many months back, and I even tried the same thing, lol.

I did not get anywhere near 100, but I did also think the improvement for jumping felt way too small.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I just want to add that I am currently on my second playthrough with the current DFU build where I specifically train jumping, climbing and running.

It seems rather noticeable that jumping does not really improve much. I can probably jump a bit further, so I easier jump over pits in dungeons, but even with jumping in the 60-70 range and the Athleticism advantage I am still unable to jump UP to anything useful in the game.

This is perhaps most annoying when in one of the dungeons blocks where there is a shaft dropping through several rooms and you have a ramp you can move over the pit. It just screams "run up this and jump to climb up" but it never works.

Alderwood

Post by Alderwood »

Setting the jump height (set_jump console command ) to 7.1 makes jumping fairly satisfying imo (at high Jump skill levels, as it seems a bit too high at low levels otherwise). It's enough to jump 1-story houses easily at 100 jumping, and 2-story houses with the jumping spell on top. It doesn't save you from falling from the same height though (by sliding off a ledge instead of free-falling), so you might end up like a cat stuck in a tree if you're not careful :P . Maybe it's enough to get you out of pits though?
Edit: Might feel a bit OP at low jumping skill levels though.
Last edited by Alderwood on Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

redmoss

Post by redmoss »

I agree that jumping could do with a boost; it may be less realistic perhaps, but it can make for more exciting gameplay. If you pick something like an Acrobat class, I feel your character should be able to do some impressive leaps.

I'm working on a mod where I plan to boost the base jump speed to facilitate this. The main purpose of the mod is to have equipment weight slow the character down, meaning there's benefits for light armor playstyles. If I include an option to boost jump speed as a baseline, then light armor characters will benefit greatly from this, whereas heavy armor characters will get the kind of jump performance expected of vanilla

viewtopic.php?t=6516