DFU v. 16.0 will not launch properly

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
PottShott

DFU v. 16.0 will not launch properly

Post by PottShott »

Hello all,

Earlier today, I got the urge to play DFU again. I'd previously modded it extensively (months ago) ad so I tried to boot that file up. Unfortunately, I was met with a long black screen and no splash page.

After troubleshooting for a while I decided to wash my hands of the old version and wipe everything, then install a new version. Upon installing the windows 64 bit version of 16.0, I found that I had a similar but new problem. Now, I am getting the spash screen, but nothing more. The game loads the background image of an out of focus townscape, and does nothing more. I get no menus, and no opportunity to direct the game to a filepath.

I feel like I must be missing something obvious. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Interkarma

Re: DFU v. 16.0 will not launch properly

Post by Interkarma »

Hey. :) It would appear something is preventing your game from starting. We can ignore the splash, it's technically not part of DFU, just the Unity runtime starting up.

I'm assuming your second setup is totally fresh with no mods. Something that often fixes the "black screen" problem is deleting settings.ini (how to locate) then try starting game again. It will create a new settings file and prompt you for path to Daggerfall's game files again.

If that still doesn't help, please zip your player.log file (same path as settings.ini) and attach it to a reply here. We might be able to see some errors in log that help solve.

PottShott

Post by PottShott »

Aha, that did it!

Thanks very much. I wonder how the settings file ended up corrupted.

Thanks again!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Great! Happy to hear that helped. :)

Yeah, I'm not sure how settings.ini is getting corrupted in these cases - or whether it's actually corrupted or just a problem between specific versions. I've only received a couple of "corrupted" settings.ini files to test and in both cases they worked fine once I tried them. Hopefully I'll catch it one day.