[Version 0.15.4]Possible Inconsistent Lockpicking Behavior Bug

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
flup72

[Version 0.15.4]Possible Inconsistent Lockpicking Behavior Bug

Post by flup72 »

According to DFU Bible wiki page on Lockpicking, you can't pick the same failed lock unless you level up the skill once, but that's technically not true. Successfully casting Open on failed Lockpicked doors allow you to Lockpick it again without leveling the skill(which is good), but unfortunatelly Lock Bashing does not.
Also, the DFU Bible seem to indicate that if your Lockpicking is maxed(100 or 95 due to mastery) and you fail you can never pick those locks without the aforementioned use of magic, which is annoying for characters that can't regenerate spell points, like Sorcerers.
Allowing Lock Bash to reset failed Lockpicking status on doors like the Open spell would solve this inconsistency.

Interkarma

Re: [Version 0.15.4]Possible Inconsistent Lockpicking Behavior Bug

Post by Interkarma »

Yes, open spell should reset locks in terms of lockpicking. I'm not sure bash should do this. In the fantasy of things, I see bash more as breaking the doorframe than opening the lock.

This falls more into change request territory rather than a bug.

flup72

Re: [Version 0.15.4]Possible Inconsistent Lockpicking Behavior Bug

Post by flup72 »

I see, but what about the Max Level(95/100) issue of never being able to lockpick at a failed door again without using magic to reset the lock? Could a thief character be locked out of a certain building permanently and having to resort to lock bash or magic? It's not very roleplay friendly. Also depending on character builds one player can be completely locked out of spellcasting without magic items.

If lock bashing won't be used as a possible alternative to lock reseting, then I believe that it should at least be reset when you leave the town or after a certain amount of time passed.

Something like after some time the house/shop owner noticed the lock was jammed and called someone to fix it, but then again, in this scenario they would also most likely have the lock checked and fixed if the door frame was smashed.