[Version 0.15.4]Quest Names for Residences Don't Reset After Some Quests Are Completed

Moderators will move topics here from Help & Support once an issue has been confirmed and enough information provided to reproduce.
flup72

[Version 0.15.4]Quest Names for Residences Don't Reset After Some Quests Are Completed

Post by flup72 »

The Mages Guild 'Research Notes' quest does not erase the name of the house the Researcher is located after the quest is done, but it does erase the one from the house where the member of the Dark Brotherhood is.
This seems to happen with quests that create residence names in multiple diferent towns(Like the Dark Brotherhood invitation quest wich has the same bug), the game only seems to reset the last house it created.
May have happenned in previous builds as well.
This bug is annoying because I don't know if this will impact negatively future quests or cause any significant save bloat, since Bethesda games are made to be played for a long time, while also becoming more and more unstable the longer you play.

Interkarma

Re: [Version 0.15.4]Quest Names for Residences Don't Reset After Some Quests Are Completed

Post by Interkarma »

When quests are completed, they go into something called a tombstone state for a few in-game days. During this period, rumours about the completed quest can circulate and certain world resources can remain allocated.

Once the tombstone state is over, any quest buildings assigned to that quest will be fully released again. There's no state mechanism in DFU where buildings can be permanently assigned to a quest. The quest itself is what claims buildings, and this claim is released once quest stops executing.

Secondary to quests is a system called building discovery, which can sometimes cache data you don't want for a variety of reasons. From memory this has a self-cleaning mechanism on load for residences. Provided the quest claiming that residence has actually finished, the temporary name assigned to residence should clear out of discovery after a while.

If you'd like me to check something specifically, please attach a zip of your save (how to locate) for me to reproduce and I'll take a look. :)

flup72

Re: [Version 0.15.4]Quest Names for Residences Don't Reset After Some Quests Are Completed

Post by flup72 »

Thanks for the reply. If the issue solves itself after a while then it's fine. I was just worried that it would never go away and then mess another quest that may choose the same location.

flup72

Post by flup72 »

Okay, so I wanted to be thorough so started a new save without mods to test this on version 0.16.0.

Ran through the first dungeon and fast traveled to Gothway Garden right ahead. Joined the Mages Guild and finished the Research Notes Quest and the Residence name remained on the Researcher located house after the quest was finished.

Since you said it would remain only a few in-game days, I fast traveled from 1 corner of the map to the other taking the longest time possible each trip taking 90+ days, so almost 200 days passed. I then fast traveled to the wrong location and then to the right one. After I returned to the location where I found the Researcher the name of the House assigned by the mission was still there.

Using the command 'purgeallquests' did not erase the name off of the house.

In this test I didn't recieve the chance to deliver the note to the Dark Brotherhood because of chance, but the name of the House the researcher was still didn't disappear after 200+ days. Just like in my first post on another save, the name remains even though I waited almost 200 days(maybe a little more since when to the wrong town on my first fast travel).

So like I said on my first post: "This seems to happen with quests that create residence names in multiple diferent towns(Like the Dark Brotherhood invitation quest wich has the same bug), the game only seems to reset the last house it created."

I didn't test this with the DB invitation quest this time, but I'm convinced the bug would also happen.

I'm going to attach the 3 test saves I made:
- Before turning in the quest
- After turning in the quest in the town where the house is located
- And returning 200 days after the quest was finished

I also accidentally found out that if you click on buttons on the fast travel menu configuration(Like begin, camp out or Foot/Horse) while the days are running down from fast travelling the timer/days resets every click, but this may be a bug for another post.
Attachments
Saves.rar
(557.78 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for saves. :)

I can confirm building name is cached to discovery data. The residence is still clear and available for quests, it's just not cleaning up the temp display name in discovery data.

Now we have saves to reproduce, I'll move to issues for someone to follow up in future.